• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bad potentiometer/color change sensor or needs resetting? How?

meltsner

This is probably a pretty technical question... I changed out the reciprocator on a friend's embroidery machine the other night. The machine is a Yamata/Ricoma 12-needle single head. Perhaps somewhat out of ignorance, though I kept the head on needle 12 while changing, I did (while the head/machine was disconnected/off) move the color change knob manually several times, albeit not too far in either direction that I know of.

When I replaced the reciprocator/head and powered up, the machine no longer recognized any needle, as in, it was the same indication as when in between colors ("?") and would not display ANY needle color. It was getting late, so from their older model Ricoma, which is needing other unrelated repairs, I decided to make a stab and steal the potentiometer off of it, assuming it probably wouldn't work either. It did though, and the machine is running fine.

So, I guess my question is, why did the original sensor not work, and any way to reset/test them? My understanding of the workings of these electronic gizmo parts is slightly lacking :)

p.s. Ricoma doesn't seem to be a popular model lol....so for the info it's similar to Redline, etc., uses basically the same parts as the other major names.