Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad Print Head?

Discussion in 'Gerber' started by ghost113, Aug 7, 2006.

1. ghost113

ghost113 New Member

Aug 4, 2006
    Maybe this has happened to someone here. My Gerber Edge machine has all of a sudden stopped printing at only one point along the printhead, which leaves me with a graphic that has a line going through it where the foil did not get printed. Any one know what's up? It is rather old, so a bad printhead would not surpise me. Thanks,
    -Tim

Tags:
  2. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Possibly a bad head from a scratch or something dragging under the head. Try cleaning it. We've experienced small pieces of anything [belly button lint, assorted mouse droppings] getting on the head, not letting the resin go down properly.

Not really on the 'droppings', but small things can get tangled in somehow and prevent proper firing. :thumb:

3. ghost113

ghost113 New Member

Aug 4, 2006
    Thanks Gino, I'll give it another cleaning and see how it goes. Having a chat with my production crew about proper belly-button maintenence probably wouldn't hurt either. :)

4. threeputt

threeputt Very Active Member

Mar 10, 2006
    washington state
    Of course you've tried cleaning with Isopropyl alcohol, correct? If that doesn't do it, you may have a blown ceramic print head. It will only get worse.

Be prepared for a $3000. repair bill from Gerber. Plus you have to crate the machine in their "own approved crate/box" or they won't accept it. Ship it to the east coast and wait. That's what happened to us about 4 years ago. At the time, we had their warranty in place, which saved us a bundle.

Good luck, maybe it's something simple. Hope so.