• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bad print quality with solid colors.

DonutSlinger

Premium Subscriber
We are changing from Versaworks to Flexi. Been watching lots of videos and reading docs.
However no matter what we do the print quality that comes out on our Roland VG2 is crappy, very grainy. Printing vector art. The colors are not printing solid like in versaworks.

Is there something I am missing?

Tried downloading profiles for the printer but it's still coming out grainy. Changed Dither patterns but no good results yet.

any tips or ideas as to why?

weyandsign

I don't use flexi anymore, but I remember having to try a lot of different vinyl profiles until I found one that looked good (it was some oracal profile that wasn't even the vinyl I was using), also had to enable the color correction option.

Saturn

Aging Member
I used Flexi when I had my Mutoh several years ago (versions 12 and 19), and it was great overall, but the default profiles were all using dithering that was TERRIBLE. Like I can't believe it would pass any sort of check. Enhanced Stochastic was what I ended up using to get better results. Sadly the profile must be built from the ground up using the correct dithering, you can't just switch after that fact... as far as I know.

I was forced to get an old eBay x-rite i1 and go thorugh the Flexi color profiling wizard—which wasn't bad either, just time consuming.

DonutSlinger

Premium Subscriber
I used Flexi when I had my Mutoh several years ago (versions 12 and 19), and it was great overall, but the default profiles were all using dithering that was TERRIBLE. Like I can't believe it would pass any sort of check. Enhanced Stochastic was what I ended up using to get better results. Sadly the profile must be built from the ground up using the correct dithering, you can't just switch after that fact... as far as I know.

I was forced to get an old eBay x-rite i1 and go thorugh the Flexi color profiling wizard—which wasn't bad either, just time consuming.

I have an i1pro 2 and have created profiles before, they are time consuming.... I was hoping to be able to print from the get go. I really can't believe how horrible the quality is on this. I'd never allow these print out of our shop lol. An older Sp-300 series printed better than this with a worn out head.
Thanks for the info. I'll try that dither pattern, and then try creating a color profile with the dither setting. Having so many dither patterns to select from, I want to have the best pattern selected to create a profile. I can't imagine creating a profile for multiple dithers, print resolutions, modes....etc. Holy cow.

DonutSlinger

Premium Subscriber
I don't use flexi anymore, but I remember having to try a lot of different vinyl profiles until I found one that looked good (it was some oracal profile that wasn't even the vinyl I was using), also had to enable the color correction option.
Good idea! I'll try that. Flexi includes and oracal profile.

Saturn

Aging Member
The one I mentioned may not be the absolutely best (or even available) for whatever version you're currently using. I seem to remember them switching their "main" one to something else around the time I was having issues, so it could be something completely different now. :(