• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bad vinyl cases? Your experience and thoughts.

Xander388

Just out of curiosity. Has anyone had vinyl fail shortly after applying and brought a case against a vinyl manufacturing company and got any reimbursement for it? I think it would be to hard to come to a conclusion whether it was a vinyl or application failure. Some friends of mine are going through this right now. They lettered several stainless steel tankers that had previously been lettered for many years. They definitely narrowed it down to a specific roll they were using. What are your thoughts etc.?

Thanks!

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Welcome from OK

Since you became a member in "07" there has been a lot of discussion on this topic. Please check out the archives.

Mosh

Tried Styletech films back in the mid 90's. The Maroon or Burgundy would turn black in two or three months. Never got very far on getting a refund, but they lost my business over it.

mgcustomgraphics

welcome from south cali, and yes there are a few manufacturer defects going on with pretty much all major brands (3m, avery, orcal, etc) but for the most part is newbie installation techniques what makes material fail, can you be more specific on what exactly happened to your friends? maybe we can narrow down possibilities ?....

Xander388

From what I gathered. The vinyl was peeling off after about a month or so. The supplier turned it over to the manufacturer. The manufacturer tested samples of the roll they had used and said it passed all test. My friends were told that stainless has to be cleaned really well because it releases a chemical all of its life. Is this true?? I would suspect this is always going to be the case. Unless you want to spend a lot of time and money sending to independent investigators, your pretty much going to lose. I agree you just don't buy any more of that vinyl. I recently purchased a 50 yrd. roll that the liner was showing on the sides from shrinking I would guess. I think it had been sitting at the suppliers warehouse for a while. It cut and weed horribly. I am now buying a vinyl that has the manufacturing date on the box.

Thanks for all the comments guys. Really appreciate the response.

Thanks!