• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Badging in Signlab

gabagoo

Anybody know if you can combine 2 elements off of 2 txt files to do badging with at the same time?
I have 2 lines of copy on 52 signs that change and badging seems to be the only way I can accomplish this efficiently

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Anybody know if you can combine 2 elements off of 2 txt files to do badging with at the same time?
I have 2 lines of copy on 52 signs that change and badging seems to be the only way I can accomplish this efficiently
We use the badge feature about 99% of the time, and there is no need to use two text files. Matter of fact, I don’t think it will let you merge two files.

The badge feature uses a “tab delimited” function to separate each line of text in your badge. Each time you hit the tab button in a single line of text, it automatically places that information on the next line of your badge. This can either be done in MS Word, your text editor or using MS Excel, when saved as a tab delimited file.

For two lines on your badge here’s how to do it in your text editor:

Type in badge text for the first line (hit tab button)type in badge text for the second line (hit enter and repeat process for next badge)

Here’s an example using your name:

GABAGOO NOW KNOWS (tab)HOW TO(tab)USE BADGE FUNCTION

This will look like the following in your badge (sign):

GABAGOO NOW KNOWS
HOW TO
USE BADGE FUNCTION

Repeat the process for subsequent badges.

We use the badge function for doing stencils for engraved bricks. We typically do anywhere from one to six lines of merged text on each badge (stencil). Using our customer’s Excel or text file, we can literally layout thousands of badges (each with multiple lines of text) in just a matter of minutes using just a few clicks of the mouse.

Theoretically, you could put dozens of lines of text on each badge so long as you had the room. Just using the badge function alone, we've saved enough time over the past seven years that we could buy the software twenty times over...or perhaps more. It's a sweet feature.

PM me for instructions on how to do it in MS Excel. I have a .pdf tutorial I made for my customers to submit to me via email.

Jim

J Hill Designs

so that being the case, if you have the 2 text files, I would import each into a separate excell column, then export as tab deliniated csv

James Burke

so that being the case, if you have the 2 text files, I would import each into a separate excell column, then export as tab deliniated csv
That would work. Row 1 cell 1 goes on the first line of the badge, row 1 cell 2 goes on the second line of the badge. Repeat the process for each badge.

gabagoo

It sounds like I have to type everything in manually by the description

I have lot signs for a builder...one file or line is the lot # and the second line is the address.

I know how to add 1 txt file, the second is a bit baffling, but I also figured another way and that would be to actually set up another set of badges on a white square the same size as the original and then align them all together.

gabagoo

That would work. Row 1 cell 1 goes on the first line of the badge, row 1 cell 2 goes on the second line of the badge. Repeat the process for each badge.

when you say repeat the process for each badge, does that not defeat the purpose of badging. I use it as a fast way to set up similar signs with minor copy changes, but I chnage it all in one step and it multiplies them out for me...

J Hill Designs

text file 1: import to excell as column 1 (should make x number of cells based on lines of copy in text file

text file 2: repeat but import to column 2

export as tab delineated csv

gabagoo

text file 1: import to excell as column 1 (should make x number of cells based on lines of copy in text file

text file 2: repeat but import to column 2

export as tab delineated csv

thats complete rocket scinece to me lol Although I have excel, I have never learned how to use it

James Burke

when you say repeat the process for each badge, does that not defeat the purpose of badging. I use it as a fast way to set up similar signs with minor copy changes, but I chnage it all in one step and it multiplies them out for me...
Ok...so there's going to be a fine line here, but I think you’ll soon see how valuable the badge function is.

The first step is data entry, that’s a given. Usually that can be provided by the customer if it requires people’s names or other information. If it’s just numbers and simple text, you can type much faster in Excel or a text document (rather than SignLab) since you’ll not be worried about any particular formatting.

Once you open SignLab, you will create just ONE sign blank. For me, I do a rectangle.

The next step is formatting your text with the proper typeface, kerning and leading. You only have to do ONE layout using the LONGEST lines of text to make sure you stay well within your required boundaries.

After the text is justified (for me it’s center justify), delete all the other letters of your sample layout and type in just a simple letter “O” on each line of text. These “O”s serve as place holders for the merged text.

In your case, you’ll have the sign blank rectangle with two letter “O”s each on their own line and center justified (I assume).

When the text file is merged with the sign blank, SignLab dumps the new data for each sign into the template you made, and instantly duplicates an array of finished layouts according to the parameters you have specified.

That’s it…you’re finished. You don’t have to mess with tweaking 52 different layouts. That’s the beauty of the badge function.

Next time you run the job with new data, it will take even less time.

I had a friend walk me through this on the telephone, and I’d be happy to do the same for you. PM me if you’d like further help.

gabagoo

Ok...so there's going to be a fine line here, but I think you’ll soon see how valuable the badge function is.

The first step is data entry, that’s a given. Usually that can be provided by the customer if it requires people’s names or other information. If it’s just numbers and simple text, you can type much faster in Excel or a text document (rather than SignLab) since you’ll not be worried about any particular formatting.

Once you open SignLab, you will create just ONE sign blank. For me, I do a rectangle.

The next step is formatting your text with the proper typeface, kerning and leading. You only have to do ONE layout using the LONGEST lines of text to make sure you stay well within your required boundaries.

After the text is justified (for me it’s center justify), delete all the other letters of your sample layout and type in just a simple letter “O” on each line of text. These “O”s serve as place holders for the merged text.

In your case, you’ll have the sign blank rectangle with two letter “O”s each on their own line and center justified (I assume).

When the text file is merged with the sign blank, SignLab dumps the new data for each sign into the template you made, and instantly duplicates an array of finished layouts according to the parameters you have specified.

That’s it…you’re finished. You don’t have to mess with tweaking 52 different layouts. That’s the beauty of the badge function.

Next time you run the job with new data, it will take even less time.

I had a friend walk me through this on the telephone, and I’d be happy to do the same for you. PM me if you’d like further help.

I know how to dump the text in for one line, it is the process of getting the second line of info in. I tried several times, but it never understood what I wanted. that is the proceedure I need to learn

James Burke

I know how to dump the text in for one line, it is the process of getting the second line of info in. I tried several times, but it never understood what I wanted. that is the proceedure I need to learn
I PMed you.

But good question. Here are the three things that are needed for it to “understand” that you want to insert multiple merged lines of text.

#1) Each line of your text file needs to be delimited (“separated”) by tabs. Believe me, if you don’t press the tab button between each line of text, it will not work.

Example:
Bill(tab)Jones(tab)2013

Will show up like:
Bill
Jones

#2) You MUST set up your template just like your finished sign. You must have a rectangle that represents your sign blank, and you must have the number of lines of text already laid out. In your case, you will have the sign blank and two lines of text justified within the sign blank. Like I said earlier, I like to use just a single letter “O” one each line to do this. It will even work if type in random letters, just so long as you have the correct number of lines of text.

#3) Before activating the badge function, you need to select all your lines of text, AND the sign blank. Next, click the badge tool button and follow the prompts to set the spacing parameters and select your text file that is to be merged.