• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ballast Troubleshooting

GraphicID

Hello everyone. I am new here. I stumbled in to this site :signs101:while I was researching for an answer to a customer's phone question. They have a sign cabinet with 6 - 5 foot lamps and one ballast and only 3 of the 6 lamps light. The lamps were replaced by the owner and they still don't light up. I have not been out to the sign but wanted some knowledge before I roll up. Any thoughts to what to look for in a diagnosis? Thanks!

Billct2

I wouldn't give anyone advice on repairing anything electrical.
(but it sounds like there's a bad socket or wire)

signage

I wouldn't give anyone advice on repairing anything electrical.

:goodpost: If you work on this I hope you have insurance, if you do not know how to trouble shoot or have experience working on them I would pass!

Wlecome to the forums from PA. OlllllO

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Welcome from down the road..................

Like signage said, if you don't know the answer to these questions, you better stay away from the job. You don't sound qualified or certified to do it. By the way.... do you have an electrician's license ??​

And yes, it sounds like a ballast going bad or too small of one for 30' of lamps.

J Hill Designs

Yeah it could be a blown socket as well, but in my experience that doesnt happen all that often - if a socket looks burned, change it first...but my money is still on the ballast having a dead circuit

Mainframe

Could be a connection to one of the sockets, more than likely it is the ballast, do the guy a favor when you change the ballast and sell him sockets, they are cheap and think about it, ballast, sockets, and bulbs, and the sign is new internally. The wiring comes on the ballast. Do yourself a favor and grab an electronic ballast, easier to wire up in the air.