• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Banding in black only

J

john1

Hey guys,

I am printing some files and it doesn't matter if it's raster or vector, The black keeps banding. It's the only color that does and it's frustrating.

Using Versaworks and have tried heat adjustments, max impact, pre press us, head speed adjustments, feed cal adjustments, bi and uni directional adjustments and all. Nothing seems to help.

It's a SP300i machine with OEM inks. Printing on 3165ra using the correct profile from oracal and i even tried the generic roland profile and it prints worse and real grainy on all colors.

Any ideas on what's causing this?

J

john1

Had a few missing ones on the black but did a few cleanings and they are back. Still same issues though.

I am about to switch back to matte IJ35C because i need a air release vinyl for most of my jobs anymore and that stuff printed good compared to this glossy oracal stuff.

Artworks

Artworks
Any air in the black lines? Have changed dampeners or disconnected any lines on your black head recently?

J

john1

Nope, Haven't touched anything on this machine really. Just changed wipers a few weeks ago.

There are white banding lines in the black and dark colors only, i figured the feed cal was too fast so i tried slowing it down and it didn't change anything.

Artworks

Artworks
If the black dampener has a clog you are likely not getting a very good draw from your black head and it will show in our prints.

ironchef

Is it rgb black or cmyk? Also check the percentages, 100 %black does that, mix it up to like 40.40.40.100 or 30.30.30.100

J

john1

I'll be honest, The dampeners and captops have never been changed. I have had the machine for about 2 years but i don't print a ton as some do on here. Maybe a few hours a week.

I was thinking one if not both of those were needing to be changed but didn't want to order this and that if it wasn't it ya know?

I'll try another oracal profile and see how that looks, If nothing is improving i'll change out the dampeners.

What i did earlier was make a variation of blacks in a row and see which printed the best. All had banding in them. It was all CMYK blacks since i design in CMYK mode. Can you design in CMYK and then have 1 color (black) be RGB in that CMYK document? I save as EPS and i believe it converts it during saving to CMYK anyway right?

ova

Didn't you just move this machine? Thought I remember seeing where you ask the proper way to secure the head when moving.

Dave

J

john1

Well, Tried the 3651 profile and it prints a TON better out the box.

Banding is almost gone and prints a nicer RGB black vs a CMYK black and even better reds than with the other profiles. There is maybe a hint of banding but then again i am picky and under fluorescent lights.

I never thought of trying other media profiles since i was trying to be correct in using what was for the media i was printing on.

Thanks guys!

ironchef

That hint of banding, try a feed compensation, while printing. For mimaki press function while printing