Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Banding in gradients only

Discussion in 'Mutoh' started by JLSignsLLC, Sep 21, 2012.

1. JLSignsLLC

JLSignsLLC Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Valuejet 1614 Flexi 10. Just had my head changed tuesday, Solid colors look amazing. Working on banners for a customer with multiple different colors and gradiens. Solids look amazing, cant say that for the gradient. Horizontal lines going through every color I try. Even the colors do not look right. Using k 45% to white. The fade is purple. Makes no sense at all. I print a box with just the Grey at 45%, looks great. Going to pull my hair out. Finally get the head changed now this mess... Any help is help.
    Thanks, Jason

Tags:
  2. CS-SignSupply

CS-SignSupply Very Active Member

Have you tried exporting the file as TIFF and sending that file to print?

Also try setting your Gradient Fill Rendering Intent to 'Perceptual'

3. 401Graphics

401Graphics Very Active Member

Try adding a blur filter to the gradient layer only, usually works for me

4. tsgstl

tsgstl Active Member

Jan 17, 2012
    screen cap it and print the gradient as a test to see if it is the gradient that is messed up

when you print solid colors are you printing straight CMYK? IE go in to the setting of the color and print a solid box of 100% and nothing else of CMYK this will at least narrow down a few things. I have had issues on my VJ with flexi interpretations of gradients especially radial.

Make sure your encoding strip is clean, use lint free cloth and distilled water

5. JLSignsLLC

JLSignsLLC Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Solid colors print fine. Yes I used 100% of all four colors and they look great. I pulled just the gradient out and printed, the grey fade is a shade of purple with horizontal banding.

6. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    did you try to rasterize and blur your gradient? or print a screen capture of it?

7. SlightlyChilled

SlightlyChilled Very Active Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Hell
    My gray would do that as well but I forget what I would do to fix it . Ill mess around tonight and see if I can make it happen