• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Banding issue on VJ1624

darkorical

I am getting banding in what appears to be technically both directions. Most prominently is the banding perpendicular to the feed direction but if you look closely there is banding parallel to the feed direction in the form of bright spots in the other bands my first thought was the encoder wheel but I have cleaned it several times with absolutely no change. It was suggested to try a PF Adjust however it was discovered that it was still at its original settings and the problem is new so the tech thought that might not be the actual issue. I am tempted to try changing the encoder wheel itself in case it is damage and not a cleanable spot. any other ideas or recommendations?

Attachments

• IMG_20150914_144649435.jpg
    IMG_20150914_144649435.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 90

heyskull

This could be a whole list of different causes.
But I had a similar issue and as you say and the pf wheel was the cause.
The wheel had distorted and was touching the encoder sensor.
When moving the loaded material forward in the machine with the buttons listen very carefully for a slight thud or jump from the machine.
When moving the material through the machine this way it should be completley smooth.
Your machine should have the spacer as my picture (the white object in the centre) which keeps the wheel centered.
But the wheel itself could be distorted.
Turn the machine off and with the cover off spin the drive shaft watching the disk and where it is in the sensor.
If it is not central the disk has distorted and requirereplacement.

Hope this helps.

SC

Attachments

• PF encoder spacer.jpg
    PF encoder spacer.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 75

darkorical

So I went ahead and ordered a new Encoder Wheel and it arrived today so after I replaced the old one I scanned it at 1200 dpi so I could examine it closely for what may have been causing the issue. I thought to share that image with you guys.

The lint present in the scan mostly from the scanner not the wheel I always cleaned the wheel with a lint free cloth

Near the top I can see a scratch, but that is pretty much the only thing I see do you guys notice something I'm missing?

PS replacing it alone seems to have cleared up the problem but I will be doing a PF Adjust soon

EDIT: so the site seems to have optimized my image when attaching so here is the full version http://invincigraphics.com/Scan.jpg

Attachments

• Scan.jpg
    Scan.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 95

brycesteiner

It looks to me like problems I had when the temperature was too high. I found you cannot cook everything. If the temperature is 50 for that, try 42 or 40.

darkorical

what little banding that was present after the Enc Wheel swap went away after the PF Adjust was completed. Thanks for the info everyone