• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Banding Issue

tjsigns

HI Guys, I am having issues with my Mimaki JV3 160sp.
Its started to band intermitantly, like every 8 - 10 passes on 8 pass profile. The banding is visible in the orange and lighter colours more. It was also banding every 8 passes on a large blue print i ran 2 days ago. The blacks are great. I printed a cmyk test and got some intermittant banding in the red then the blue. It seems to alternate. Ive tried different profiles and settings in my rip but all seem the same. It is less obvious if i go for a standard print rather than high quality. The profile i am using is 720 x 720, 8 pass with about 40 pre heat and 38 print heat. Ive tried different heat settings but nothing. This has just started happening the last couple of days. If i go to my driver settings in my rip and change the drop size to 2 it reduses the banding, but only because its putting more ink down. This only works if i apply standard print settings. The software is Flexi 8.6. The only thing ive changed recently is the inks. Ive gone for an aftermarket ink from the USA. They are an SS2 ink. The inks i used previously were Mimaki SS inks. Main thing i noticed was the smell. Print quality on the printer has been great on banners and canvass, banner mesh etc. But last few days the banding looks like ink starvation. But it seems to happen every so many passes then starts to print normally. The print quality fades over a few passes then returns all of a sudden. Ive noticed it has been cold in my workshop the last few days and was wondering if the inks are not flowing through the lines and dampers because of the cold. C M Y K prints showed great colour on the black but C M Y look as though there just isnt enough ink coming through as they dont look as glossy as the black. I'm thinking of pulling all the damprs and flushing them and checking all cables and o-rings etc incase of leaks. Ive even removed the cover on the carraige and checked the damper levels while printing and they all look fine.
I know this topic has been covered a thousand times but wondered if anyone had had similar issues.
This problem didnt start straight after i installed new inks, Ive done nearly 100m of print since then so im sure it would of shown earlier if it was the inks.
Thanks in advance

George

Attachments

• 20130606_193124.jpg
    20130606_193124.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 107

ironchef

Is the image in rgb? I find jpgs and colors im cmyk give me the same problem, although i just switched to forward banner, and im getting banding all over, did the bidirectional adjustment and tuned in the feed compensation as much i could but its still banding slightly, i used a taurpalin profile, the same i always use

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
hi. this kind of reminds me of starving inks. you said the black prints good. is that just 100% black? or is there other values in it? ink coverage is always under looked at. orange is only 100% yellow and 50% magenta. not the same coverage as say 60%40%70% and 100% black...
i suggest running 12 pass or pick another profile on the vinyl. while these machines are awesome, i never liked the banding i get when i print below 12 pass. i use 8 pass with banners because you cant see the banding from far away, but don't use a dryer and so the ink gets sticky....
good luck!
chris

lucasdowden

Mutoh 1204 Horrible Printing

A few days ago I printed out a banner and it looked perfect, the next day i came in to print on vinyl and the ink is fading and doing a horrible job. I cleaned the entire machine (with cleaning solvent from the cartridges) and no change or worse. All the ink catridges are about 50% no air leaks I can find. I run a nozzle test and it comes back blank (literally no ink on the vinyl). Out of ideas and way behind in projects! HELP? I attached some photos of what it looks like when I print. The picture with the multiple prints was from last night before I left work and the other picture with the 2 prints is from this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_1780.jpg
    IMG_1780.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1781.jpg
    IMG_1781.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 118

khansigns

How Can I post a new message? I need to know where do the o rings go for Mutoh 1204 ?

How Can I post a new message? I need to know where do the o rings go for Mutoh 1204 ?