• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Banding issues

rialine

Hi Guys,

Im using a Mimaki CJV30-100, getting real bad banding issues, cannot clear nozzles.
Head is about 6 years old, soaked every night in cleaning solution, and I do a 10min nozzle was every day before I start any printing. Capping station replaced in January, wiper replaced last month.
Ive tried every trick I know, if flushed cleaning fluid through the head from the top where the dampers fit in, ive syringed from the bottom where the pipes connect to the pump. ive done all the washes possible on the machine, and Ive even tried to update my firmware to add Maps (i saw that on a previous thread...) but just getting errors, the software doesnt want to upload to my machine.
I really cant afford a new head right now.
I can see clearly that the Magenta left test print is not closing the line at the end? if that makes sense? usually this is because the capping station is not closing properly on the edges, but my capping station is new? less than a year old.
ive attached images, if anyone can please help.
I haven't changed dampers in a long time, but I dont think its a flow problem, can clearly see on the test patter the nozzles are not firing.
any help please

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-09-04 at 08.53.24_a150d618.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-09-04 at 08.53.24_a150d618.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 126
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-09-04 at 08.30.01_523034ad.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-09-04 at 08.30.01_523034ad.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 85
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-09-04 at 08.19.43_a8a436de.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-09-04 at 08.19.43_a8a436de.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 80

rialine

Hi Guys,

Im using a Mimaki CJV30-100, getting real bad banding issues, cannot clear nozzles.
Head is about 6 years old, soaked every night in cleaning solution, and I do a 10min nozzle was every day before I start any printing. Capping station replaced in January, wiper replaced last month.
Ive tried every trick I know, if flushed cleaning fluid through the head from the top where the dampers fit in, ive syringed from the bottom where the pipes connect to the pump. ive done all the washes possible on the machine, and Ive even tried to update my firmware to add Maps (i saw that on a previous thread...) but just getting errors, the software doesnt want to upload to my machine.
I can see clearly that the Magenta left test print is not closing the line at the end? if that makes sense? usually this is because the capping station is not closing properly on the edges, but my capping station is new? less than a year old.
I haven't changed dampers in a long time, but I dont think its a flow problem, can clearly see on the test patter the nozzles are not firing.
any help please
I did see this in another thread here on signs 101, and I have been having ALL of these problem, except my capping station is on 3 MONTHS old!!
is it possible that I just got a defective one? I usually change it once a year

Signs the cap top needs to be changed:

- You come in every morning and are missing a lot of nozzles
- 1 or 2 normal cleaning cycles doesn't recover nozzles
- The waste tank doesn't fill up as often as it used to
- Cartridges are reading empty when there is still ink in them
- It's been a year or more since you changed it

Smoke_Jaguar

Man who touches printers inappropriately.
Cap top alignment can shift, or might not be done right in the first place. Good to go through the procedures to make sure it's actually sitting right on the nozzle plate.

rialine

Cap top alignment can shift, or might not be done right in the first place. Good to go through the procedures to make sure it's actually sitting right on the nozzle plate.
HI,

How do I align the cap top? it fits in one place, is there a setting that I can go to?
I have ordered a new cap and my supplier has agreed to refund me the old (since its only 3 months old) one should my banding issues sort itself out when I install the new cap, but I have never adjusted cap settings, I always just unclip the old one, re-attach the pump tubes and flush it with cleaning fluid. Then I do a nozzle wash for 10min to let the new cap sit with the head before I start printing. Are there settings I should go to? Ive replaced the cap like this once a year.

rialine

HI,

How do I align the cap top? it fits in one place, is there a setting that I can go to?
I have ordered a new cap and my supplier has agreed to refund me the old (since its only 3 months old) one should my banding issues sort itself out when I install the new cap, but I have never adjusted cap settings, I always just unclip the old one, re-attach the pump tubes and flush it with cleaning fluid. Then I do a nozzle wash for 10min to let the new cap sit with the head before I start printing. Are there settings I should go to? Ive replaced the cap like this once a year.
Ps, I have had a look with a flashligth and when the cap lifts up to the head when I leave it overnigth to sit in solution it is perfectly aligned, not skew or anything, it lifts up and 'grabs' the head exactly.

SGC

6 years is already strike number one. Strike two is constant nozzle washes and head soaks. The solution breaks down the nozzle plate adhesive over time if overexposed.

This more than likely isn’t the cap.

unmateria

looks like bad wiper. After a clean cycle, try cleaning the printhead with one of those cleaning stubs without any líquid and very softly

• Agree
Reactions: WBS

rialine

6 years is already strike number one. Strike two is constant nozzle washes and head soaks. The solution breaks down the nozzle plate adhesive over time if overexposed.

This more than likely isn’t the cap.
Ok, I was told when I purchased the machine to never let the head dry out, so I always leave it in solution overnight, and then do a nozzle wash before i start printing. is this not correct?

rialine

looks like bad wiper. After a clean cycle, try cleaning the printhead with one of those cleaning stubs without any líquid and very softly
The wiper is also new, 3 months, when it wipes, the ink that it wipes off sits on the wiper edge to edge, so its not only wiping in the middle, I saw that on a different thread as well so I checked that first.

Terry01

Increase them. Dont go by the manual. All vinyls are different and some require more heat to set the inks. Its a trial and error situation. You need to work out what is best for your situation.

Last edited:

rialine

Increase them. Dont go by the manual. All vinyls are different and some require more head to set the inks. Its a trial and error situation. You need to work out what is best for your situation.
ok, super thanks, waiting for the courier to deliver new cap, then ill give everything a good clean and play around with the heat

GraphixGirl79

Hi Guys,

any help please
We used to run a JV33-130 Mimaki and one time i started losing some of my magenta nozzles, and then it was all of them and then one or two other nozzles were missing. i tried everthing, cleaning, nozzles washes, wiper change, soaks.. etc.. nothing worked.. turned out it was the pump, it was not sucking properly. Check your lines, see if there are any bubbles etc.. it could be the pump. After we replaced it, things were back to normal. Just a stab.

by the way... if anyone wants a jv33-130 for parts, our main board died and the boss doesn't want to fix it because they don't know what caused the board to go, if it was just it's time or something else. Sucks because was a good machine and in good shape.

rialine

We used to run a JV33-130 Mimaki and one time i started losing some of my magenta nozzles, and then it was all of them and then one or two other nozzles were missing. i tried everthing, cleaning, nozzles washes, wiper change, soaks.. etc.. nothing worked.. turned out it was the pump, it was not sucking properly. Check your lines, see if there are any bubbles etc.. it could be the pump. After we replaced it, things were back to normal. Just a stab.

by the way... if anyone wants a jv33-130 for parts, our main board died and the boss doesn't want to fix it because they don't know what caused the board to go, if it was just it's time or something else. Sucks because was a good machine and in

rialine

Hi, ok so how will I know if its the pump? I put cleaning fluid on the capping station and I did a pump tube wash, it sucks the fluid very quickly, the tubes are clear, no bubbles or ink build up, I do a pump tube was often. how do I test the pump?

rialine

ok, super thanks, waiting for the courier to deliver new cap, then ill give everything a good clean and play around with the heat
ok increased the temp to 50 50 50 and print has already improved a lot, still waiting for the new cap... everything is slower in South Africa..
My black is printing solid, yellow cyan and magenta is banding still

GraphixGirl79

Hi, ok so how will I know if its the pump? I put cleaning fluid on the capping station and I did a pump tube wash, it sucks the fluid very quickly, the tubes are clear, no bubbles or ink build up, I do a pump tube was often. how do I test the pump?
The pump in our old machine that was going also seemd to "act" normal.. other than what was happening in my above post. We eventually had a tech come out and change the pump, so i'm not mechanically inclined in that area. i wouldn't know how to "test" it. You could try looking up you tube videos maybe? If you have no bubbles or anything like that, then chances are it's not your pump. Have you ever changed the dampers?

I found that as our machine aged, it preferred low head speed over high and higher pass counts to reduce banding. Only bad thing about that is printing times go up significantly.