• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Banding problem

Colin

*I posted this in the Roland section yesterday, but no reply, so trying here.

Roland SP-540i

Whenever I print a solid color background, I get these lighter colored bands about every 17", but the distance varies. Printing at Standard Quality in RVW. I've even tried converting the colored area to a bitmap (in CorelDraw), but that doesn't fix it. All test-prints are good, and all is clean; new wipers.

Any solutions?

Attachments

• P1070460.JPG
    P1070460.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 430

DerbyCitySignGuy

Vertical or horizontal lines?

Assuming horizontal lines, since it looks like an ink starvation issue. Probably only happens when you print large blocks of the same color?

• Agree
Reactions: TEN

Colin

So what would cause an ink starvation if all of the cartridges have plenty of ink? And why wouldn't that starvation continue, rather than being a brief band?

DerbyCitySignGuy

So what would cause an ink starvation if all of the cartridges have plenty of ink? And why wouldn't that starvation continue, rather than being a brief band?

The cartridges don't feed ink directly to the heads, so it could be anywhere between your ink cartridge and your print head. I'd start by checking for a clogged damper.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide

Ink starvation almost always means there is air getting into the system and that usually happens at the damper area. The damper also has a filter that can clog and cause starvation. The reason it doesn't just continue to drop out is because the starvation is not enough to completely drop that head but just enough to cause issues once in a while. I would replace the dampers and the o-rings and that should fix the issue. If it doesn't then you might have a feed motor issue or even a head problem.

Colin

Thanks Vander and Derby. The dampers were replaced not too long ago, but perhaps they could still be the culprit? The machine is 8 years old (but gently used), so could those little tubes plug up?

DerbyCitySignGuy

Thanks Vander and Derby. The dampers were replaced not too long ago, but perhaps they could still be the culprit? The machine is 8 years old (but gently used), so could those little tubes plug up?

Possibly. Usually the dampers are the first thing to check, since they're cheap and easy to replace. If they're clogged again, you might need to investigate why they're clogging so much. If you're running it 24/7 you might just have to replace them more frequently. Running third party ink?

Like Vander said, replace the o-rings and dampers and if you're still having the issue you most likely have air getting in somewhere else. There aren't really too many places air can be introduced along the way and even if air does get in, the dampers are there to get rid of it. I'd wager dollars to donuts that replacing dampers and o-rings will fix the issue.

papabud

Lone Wolf
i would look at the heater.
one other area could be the material itself.
i had a few rolls that wasnt stored properly and they had a "dead" spot.
and ink never laid down right along that line and it repeated. look at the material before its printed. if you see a line in it then that could be the problem. the line will be very faint. kind of like the sheen is a little different.

Colin

Possibly. Usually the dampers are the first thing to check, since they're cheap and easy to replace. If they're clogged again, you might need to investigate why they're clogging so much. If you're running it 24/7 you might just have to replace them more frequently. Running third party ink?.

Yes, 3rd party ink. Rite-Media ProColour, from All Graphic Supplies.

Colin

I would look at the heater.

I thought of that; I had the heater at 44, and turned it down to 40, no difference.

There's one possible correlation that I observed when printing, so (anyone) tell me if this makes sense:

When I intermittently spooled off some material from the 54" roll of vinyl during printing, that moment of spooling seemed to correlate to the lighter line appearing, but I can't think of why. Static?

DerbyCitySignGuy

Yes, 3rd party ink. Rite-Media ProColour, from All Graphic Supplies.

Shouldn't make a difference, but I do know that some people have issues with third party inks. Recent switch or have you been using that brand for a while?

I also highly doubt that hand spooling some material would make a line like that. That's an almost textbook starvation symptom.

Colin

Local rep/tech is suggesting a flaw in the media (Arlon - matte cal), so I pulled about 4' through the front of the printer, and didn't see any apparent lines, but given that it's matte, it's tough to be sure.

Colin

OK, I know some of you love to build on your knowledge of all things printing, so here’s one to chew on:

My rep/tech suggested that I try a different profile, and while I was skeptical that that’s where the problem lies, I tried it (Generic Vinyl 1) and while it was printing, I spooled off material from the roll at the back of the machine, and then immediately made a little mark with a Stabilo pencil on the edge of the roll right where it was printing, and sure enough that is exactly where a lighter line in the print was born! This confirms my prior suspicion about this possible correlation.

When I clasped the media flange to turn the roll, I could feel static electricity with my hand. So doesn’t this strongly suggest that static is the issue?

http://support.rolanddga.com/docs/d...es/static suppression for roland printers.pdf

Last edited:

RPM

All are great answers and possibilities. Have you also done a PF adjust anytime lately? Just throwing out one other possibility that you may have a little contamination on
encoder. Probably unlikely but just one more thing to rule out.....