• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Banding procedure

GK

Hey guys.. What procedure do you use to eliminate banding in your prints?

Depends what is causing it. Sometimes not enough ink got into the lines, sometimes there are little scrim fuzzies dragging on the bottom of the head, sometimes its the media feed adjustment.

Sparky

On the 1604, there is a "PF Adjust" test you can run - that will tell you if your Page Feed is right or not.

What I have found is that if you do have some minor banding it can sometimes be compensated by different heat levels on the platen. If I don't watch carefully, I can get the wave banding on 3MIJ180c V2, but any other media is perfect.

Might also try other profiles - a bad profile will bite you!

Good luck!

P

ProWraps™

since we bought the valuejet, we have had no banding what so ever.

PartyMatt

You might also try a different printing mode. The worst banding I've seen on the Mutoh VJ was in the high-speed 4-pass Banner 4 mode. I've never seen any banding worth talking about in the 8-pass modes -- Graphics 2 and Quality 4.

LittleSnakey

We have also noticed a considerable amount of banding on the 3m material compared to the Arlon we usually use.
Yes this was using the 3m profile from flexi.

On the 1604, there is a "PF Adjust" test you can run - that will tell you if your Page Feed is right or not.

What I have found is that if you do have some minor banding it can sometimes be compensated by different heat levels on the platen. If I don't watch carefully, I can get the wave banding on 3MIJ180c V2, but any other media is perfect.

Might also try other profiles - a bad profile will bite you!

Good luck!

Derf

90% of the time with me its from temperature but we will be able to tell more with a pic.

k6media

the printer is a valuejet 1604, and we have been lucky up to now that it's been flawless. But we have been noticing more and more "wave banding" in our reds and certain blues. Kinda odd..We ran the full gamut of alignment, PF adjust. blah blah blah...and still looks all the same. We are running the IJ180C-v2, hardly anything else. so what heat settings are you guys running? And has anybody noticed a lick of difference with the PF adjust. I ran pulse 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10...they all look relatively the same, I'm getting cross eyed.

Chris(the other partner)

k6media

PF (page feed) issues. So i went back to the start of all the test mutoh has. I did the PF test again and now i am confused. Did the 250mm test thing, i mesure it with a steet ruler as described, and get 249mm, "great i think it's off by 1mm so i tell the initial adjust thingy that it is 249mm, and confirm the print. It prints the magenta crosses and it's perfect...yup 250mm bang on...So i do the initial test thing again to really confirm it....still 249mm...WTF. Another color test after that,,STILL BANDING....grrrrrrrr.. How do i get it to stick to 250mm

Derf

Cool your heaters off a bit the colder they run the less banding but then you get pooling and other stuff but just try cooling them down it may take the edge off till you figure out the real issue is.

SE SignSupply

PF (page feed) issues. So i went back to the start of all the test mutoh has. I did the PF test again and now i am confused. Did the 250mm test thing, i mesure it with a steet ruler as described, and get 249mm, "great i think it's off by 1mm so i tell the initial adjust thingy that it is 249mm, and confirm the print. It prints the magenta crosses and it's perfect...yup 250mm bang on...So i do the initial test thing again to really confirm it....still 249mm...WTF. Another color test after that,,STILL BANDING....grrrrrrrr.. How do i get it to stick to 250mm

It has been a while but I think that you are adjusting 1/10th's of a mm instead of full mm's when you are adding to the shown value. So, you would need to add 10 instead of 1 to correct a 1mm error. However, I would not start with changing the PF you're only seeing banding on IJ180.

IJ180 is more dense face stock than virtually any other media on the market. Try these settings: Pre:40, Platen 30, Dryer 50.

Good luck,
Ryan