• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Banner ??? and weight (oz)

Tintman928

Ok, I did a search, but didn't come across anything that could help me. Sorry this is probably a stupid question, but the stupidest one is the one you don't ask!! :Big Laugh
Got my first job doing phone # and name change for a salon, while there measuring and showing her color samples, she asked me about doing some banners, there are 2 outside of her shop now, that have been there for years, she just bought the salon and wants to give it a "new" look.
I don't have a printer, so will just be applying vinyl to banner material. I've looked on sign warehouse website, and they have 10, 13, and 14 oz banner material. I was looking into getting the pre grometed material, is 13oz suitable for exterior banners, where I'm at the wind BLOWS alot, 30+ mph most days. She also wants to do "NEON" colors, I tried to talk her out of that as from what I've read flourscent colored vinyl doesn't last too long outside...... what if I were to cover the banner/lettering with clear bra paint protection material that has uv inhibitors in it?????
Sorry for the long winded post!!

HulkSmash

13oz is typical for most banners.
as for neon lettering..don't clearbra it, you can do a clear shield spray laminate.

Have you thought about outsourcing to a larger company who could help you do this the right way...and at the same time you can make a profit..

MGraphics

13 oz should be good... maybe look into cutting half cirlces in it so the wind pass through.... Have you looked into having printed from one of the wholesalers on here???

allamericantrade

The biggest question I would need to know is how are you intending to mount the banner? Is it going to be against the building or free hanging?

Fastened all the way around against the building and apropriate stretching to minimize wind getting behind it with a 13 oz banner is no problem even at 50mph.

As far as NEON colors... Can't help you there. I havent the experiance with using neon cut vynle this way.

300mphGraphics

I know that wind! We use 13oz and it holds just fine. The pre-grommeted material comes stitched which helps. We also stay away from the flourescents, but a banner is intended to be a temporary sign so if you educate the customer on that and the customer is reasonable, you should be ok there.

Tintman928

Haven't looked at any options yet, open to any and all suggestions. She wants to do this around first part of April, so she can sit down and come up with exactly what she wants, so I have time to figure out options.
They are up against the building (screwed in) not free hanging, I was more worried about the gromets ripping out, but I suppose cutting vent slits could help.

300mphGraphics

Do a search on the forum for wind slits in banners, most don't like them. Cutting holes in material to prevent it from tearing.. Many believe it is better to just leave the material whole and intact. Up against the building, there is a lot less wind to flow through the slits anyway so I'd never cut slits in that instance. Just use the grommet holes every 2 feet. I've watched several banners flap from customers not using all the holes. The holes are there for a reason, use them.

Tintman928

Do a search on the forum for wind slits in banners, most don't like them. Cutting holes in material to prevent it from tearing.. Many believe it is better to just leave the material whole and intact. Up against the building, there is a lot less wind to flow through the slits anyway so I'd never cut slits in that instance. Just use the grommet holes every 2 feet. I've watched several banners flap from customers not using all the holes. The holes are there for a reason, use them.

:thumb:

allamericantrade

Against a building I would highly reccomend against any slits what so ever. You would be opening surface area for wind to get behind the banner and against a building install you do not want wind behind. You should have no issues with the grommets pulling away but if you are really worried you can always put a bead of silicone under the banner around the edge. A little overkill but excellent insurance to no wind effect. Aside of opening air flow behind the banner by cutting slits in it looks horrible in general. The only time you should even think about it is on a chainlink fence or suspended with space behind. Then you want air to travel through. Personally if it was an install like that I would go mesh myself.