• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Banner finishing

tomandsherri

We have been running a table top Banner Cyclone taper (for hems) for many years. It has reached its life end. We produce 100's of banners/year, have a fairly small shop. Any suggestions on a new taper, welder etc that won't break the bank?

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Second banner hem tape. Great for small(ish) runs and quick and easy.

Wouldn’t put a lot of money into it unless 100’s turned into 1000’s.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
We buy 1” wide tape. Leave a 1” white area around the perimeter of the banner then just tape and hem. Holds up great.

We’re not doing 1000’s but we get anywhere between 10 and 40 banners a week or so during the ‘banner’ season.

Colorado does a 8’ by 4’ banner in about 3 mins. Takes about 7 mins to cut and hem/eyelet.

Z SIGNS

Unless there is a real need for strength like a banner being installed with ropes over a street. Why even bother with a hem on a banner? They look nicer without it.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Leister Hemtek ST... love ours even with the small quantity we do. Hems are rock solid and better than any tapes we previously used.

TheSnowman

I just started using the Leister Hemtek two days ago. We did (40) 4' X 6' banners and (3) 5' X 16' banners with it over the last couple days. I was kinda frustrated with it at first, and had to do a bunch of test pieces, but once I figured out the method to it, I really fell in love with it. I only had to reprint one banner, which isn't too bad of a learning curve considering it was like 3 banner rolls of material basically. I haven't done anything with my table setup though, it's just clamped to my normal work table. There's some videos on YouTube that show it, but even those, you still have to learn the trick. If you just plan on spending a little time with it, it's a great investment. I'm not sure what they are new, but I gave $2,500 and that one job paid for it, so as far as I'm concerned, that's a good investment.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Unless there is a real need for strength like a banner being installed with ropes over a street. Why even bother with a hem on a banner? They look nicer without it.

Hmmm, I've always thought banners without a hem look cheap and unprofessional. Walmart doesn't hem hence cheap. We have had on occasion had specific instructions to not hem but pretty rare.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Hmmm, I've always thought banners without a hem look cheap and unprofessional. Walmart doesn't hem hence cheap. We have had on occasion had specific instructions to not hem but pretty rare.

Fully agree. Didn’t realise not hemming was an option. Usually it’s just good to reinforce the grommets

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
the only banners we would not hem would be 18oz pole banner.
13oz just curls and looks like crap.