• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Banner Hem Tape Recomendations?

the graphics co

There are quite a few options that vary pretty significantly in price, does anyone have any recommendations on this? I have a job of 30 banners that are going to be outdoors, but the customer doesn't want to pay for sewing. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Cameron

mudmedia

Sew them...You will be happier...If you cant buy a sewing machine find someone local to do them for you...Way more durable

signworldusinc

Merchant Member
Banner Hem Tape will just differ in quality but also depends on who you are getting them from. Get them from the manufacturer you'll get it for cheaper and get them from a reseller you'll be paying more. But sewing will always be better but tape works just as well for a cheap alternative and time saving as well

BBworks

We use a 1 inch "Banner Tape" from Proveer Sign & Graphics. We have always had great results and when a banner comes back year after year for a date change, the banner is still hemmed very well.

idsignsil

www.firstchoicetapes.com

We have tried all kinds of tapes from all of the different sign supply companies. Then one day a lady from first choice tapes called and we got their pricing and it is much cheaper. So we gave it a try, and have not looked back. We have not had any problems with the tape. Plus they are in Wisconsin, so it is a 1 day ship to you.

J

john1

I use powertape hem tape for in house banners and when i outsource banners they are sewn. Good success with both.

TheSnowman

I use something that Advantage sells...but if they don't want to pay for sewing, how in the heck are you just "throwing in" the time that it takes to hem and grommet 30 banners? You should in the future just build that into your cost, and don't tell them how it's being done.

If I have to have mine hemmed, I have a local canvas shop that will do it, but I don't tell people they're paying extra for it, I build it in to my cost, and sell them on a banner that's going to last a little better. Plus, I don't have a ton of time wrapped up in hemming them.

I did a big order like yours once, and it was cheaper for me to print them and leave them on the roll than to mess with hemming them. It was indoors, but the canvas shop did all the trimming, hemming, and grommets, and I couldn't afford to mess with it for how fast they could do it.

mudmedia

what does it even cost to have a banner sewn now days? I sew my own but if you have a third party do it..lets say compared to hemming yourself and cost of tape and what not...Im curious to know what people pay to get em sewn.

TheSnowman

$1.25 a foot, longest part only. $.50/grommet. So a 4' X 8' with grommets is $15, and they put mega reinforcements behind each grommet so it's a lot stronger.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Even sewing a banner doesn't keep it from possibly getting torn up in the harsh weather outdoors (freezing, wind, etc.) I always make sure my customers know that banners are
"Temporary" signage and aren't meant to be used as a permanent sign alternative. That way there are no expectations for it to last for a year (though many times they last longer) and I don't have to sew them. 1.5" Takit tape on the sides works just fine for us.

OlsonSigns601

We just changed the date on about 8 banners that the local FD has been buying from us for a few years. Before we new we could print banners on our printer we printed the graphics to go on a premade banner. That same week we printed a banner.

The premade banner that was stiched had the theading ripped apart and we had to cut it off and put our Tape hem on it.

The banner we made with the Tapped Hem was fine.

We use the Orabond and never have a problem with it.

TheSnowman

I am getting robbed by my hem guy if you are paying $1.25 a foot, i am paying $1/sq.ft. currently.

It surprises me they'd charge you a sq. ft. if you are providing the material. Get this...it used to be $2 a banner, no matter what...but then the old guy (who probably started his job as a hobby) sold out to a new owner. Still great people, but $2 a banner was AWESOME. Then again, that was back when gas was like $1.25/gallon, so times change.

the graphics co

It surprises me they'd charge you a sq. ft. if you are providing the material. Get this...it used to be $2 a banner, no matter what...but then the old guy (who probably started his job as a hobby) sold out to a new owner. Still great people, but $2 a banner was AWESOME. Then again, that was back when gas was like $1.25/gallon, so times change.

It is surprising to me too after hearing what you are paying. I found a new place to do them for 1.50/ lineal foot and they can turn this order for 30 around same day. Thanks for the help everyone. I appreciate it.