• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Banner Hemming Machines?

jfiscus

Rap Master
We've been sending out our banners to be hemmed at another local company for years, and are looking at bringing this process in-house.
What do you recommend we purchase? A sewing machine or a seam welder?
What brand & who to buy it from?

Also, a non-hand grommet machine brand to look into?

netsol

both?

we make VERY FEW banners, but we have a juki & one of those chinese knockoff seam welders

i will be interested to see what your final decision is.

Shred_signs

Lost Member
We've been sending out our banners to be hemmed at another local company for years, and are looking at bringing this process in-house.
What do you recommend we purchase? A sewing machine or a seam welder?
What brand & who to buy it from?

Also, a non-hand grommet machine brand to look into?
i vote sewing machine.
I don't like the heat welders, if you screw up it's a new print. If you use a sewing machine and mess it up, pop the hem and run again.

However, I worked with an in-house seamstress, not sure what her machine was, it was old and built to last.
We had a secondary machine from Kronos, I believe.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
We do banners all day long. Double face hem tape w/grommets, no sewing. Been doing it for years without complaint. If we need to do a banner that requires adherence to DOT guidelines we outsource it. We also used a local upholstery shop if a stitched hem was needed but they have since retired.

WildWestDesigns

Juki, could also use an overlock/serger type of machine, each has their pros and cons (I prefer the lock stitch). Although just about any name brand commercial machine should do right by you. Pfaff has some good commercial machines as well as Brother (most people would know them for home usage, but they do have very good commercial lineups).

mkmie

Lost Soul
It's not just the sewing machine. It's the table set up you need. Front, back, sides. Takes up a ton of room and requires skill to handle banner material. I agree with myront. Tape the hems and outsource those that must be stitched or welded.
I was a happy camper when we got rid of the sewing machine.

signdudegraphix

We have a BannerPro from Supply 55 and a royal sovereign banner welder. Both are great for welding hems. We started with the banner pro, then upgraded to the royal sovereign. We don’t make banners in house anymore so both machines are up for sale. Message me if interested.

hybriddesign

owner Hybrid Design
we have the Leister Hemtek ST and if you're looking at welders I'd say that this is by far your best option unless you have the $$$ and volume to higher end $7-10+ plus machines. Whatever you do do NOT buy one of the Supply 55/US Cutter banner welders. If you want one I'll sell you a used one for $100+ shipping, they are horrible. The Leister has a learning curve and we still to this day end up with slightly wavy hems sometimes but it's fast, the seams are durable and for larger orders it's a real time saver. My guys still pull out double sided tape for 1-3 piece banner orders.

We have an Edward Segal 3P6 pneumatic grommet press and it works well but I kind of wish we had bought an auto loading machine. That being said the auto loading machines are quite a bit larger. This machine is great but it's more awkward to maneuver than say a Hiker manual press. For 90% of the jobs our guys still use the Hiker press. We had a recent signage job that had around 2,000 grommets involved and then the auto press came out. Honestly, some of the smaller no-name automatic presses sold by mybinding.com, goldstar, etc are pretty tempting though as they are a LOT cheaper than the 3P6 and it's not like it's a complicated process.

tulsagraphics

I've been sewing for about 15 years. Sewn hems are very fast to produce, really strong, and very inexpensive compared to adhesives (I mean, we're only talking about the cost of thread). With sewing you can add webbing, D and O rings, reinforcements, etc... things a welder can't do. My favorite part is the appearance. It just looks better, more handcrafted. That being said, the relatively smooth / flat finish of a welder looks really good on certain banners, especially indoor ones.

Yes, you'll need a proper table and guides and such for an efficient workflow (and patience!). Hopefully you have the space for it. I built a custom air hockey table for mine that's 6' x 24' long, using melamine panels for the top (drilling approx 8k 1/16" holes) and powering it with an old HVAC blower motor. It was a lot of work to build, but I'm happy with it. (I wish it was bigger, but didn't have the room)

Sewing machines can be finicky if they aren't tuned / maintained properly, and you'll be lucky to find anyone local that can service them when they break down since industrial sewing machines are considerably different from residential models. I highly recommend researching these machines and their maintenance routines to figure out which one(s) are the easiest to take care of. For the most part you can just keep everything clean and oiled, but you really need to know where to oil everything. Just don't overcomplicate your machine with more features than you actually need. A new machine with a good set of modern features can be had for about 2.5-3k (depending on how you want it set up). Compare that to welders which cost... what... like 4x that much? No thanks. :)

When buying a sewing machine, make sure you're not buying a Chinese model. Aim for the Japanese ones (Juki, Consew, etc). Of course you can also go with an older machine to save bucks if you don't want modern features (it's a good idea to have a backup machine anyway in case you want to start off slow and buy a nicer machine later). The older Singers (35+ years old) were built like tanks (before Singer sold their plans to China). I've got several of them, and a really nice Mitsubishi from the 80s. The one I use the most is my new Consew. I use it the most because it has the largest bobbins I could find (U bobbins). The larger the bobbin the better.

Last edited:

teampix

Founder, President, Janitor
We produce around 6k banners per year using 2 Sinclair ( now Miller Weldmaster) Triad wedge welders. Works very well for our needs and we have the space for large tables and tracking. I have an old Singer 300W double needle but it's finicky and my sewing skills are lame.

signdudegraphix

When we were making our banners, the BannerPro was our first welder and it did a decent job. It paid for itself quickly compared to banner tape. We always did a double weld for extra strength.

We upgraded to the royal sovereign after a few years and loved the quality of the welds on the banners. It works like a conveyor belt and is best used with plenty of room for the banner to move.

We never had a complaint about the look of the banner or any failures. In fact, we’ve used the BannerPro to repair banner failures that customers have brought in.

Both machines have their place and are a fraction of the cost of the Miller ones. If we had enough banner business, space and power requirements, we would probably invest in a Miller.

Superior_Adam

double needle Juki sewing machine. You need a lot less table with a sewing machine than a welder. If you have a 20' banner you have to have enough table to feed the entire banner. With a sewing machine you can lightly fold as you need to. Did a 4'x30' banner not too long ago and only have 8' tables on each side of the machine. Normally I would outsource it but it was a rush and had to do in house. Tape on banner seams suck and just dont look finished properly.

tulsagraphics

We produce around 6k banners per year using 2 Sinclair ( now Miller Weldmaster) Triad wedge welders. Works very well for our needs and we have the space for large tables and tracking. I have an old Singer 300W double needle but it's finicky and my sewing skills are lame.
I've got one of those too, but I haven't used it in forever. It's very finicky, and rethreading those "fangs" is a PITA. Maybe one of these years I'll get around to tuning it since I know a lot more about sewing machines than I did in 2008 when I first got it. :p

pitorro

We make lots of banners. We used double sided tape, but it just became too expensive and time consuming. We got a Hemtek ST and it was the best investment we made for banners. It took me a lot of practice, but now is just so easy.

dkinison

Premium Subscriber
We have a BannerPro from Supply 55 and a royal sovereign banner welder. Both are great for welding hems. We started with the banner pro, then upgraded to the royal sovereign. We don’t make banners in house anymore so both machines are up for sale. Message me if interested.
do you have your welders still for sale?

CanuckSigns

I outsource 99% of my banners now, I honestly don't know how anyone can justify printing them in house when you can order them printed, hemmed and grommetted for so cheap.

Z SIGNS

We make a fair share of banners and rarely put a hem in them. Grommets yes.
Unless it's going to have a wind load on why bother? It does not make it look any better or that much stronger.
The banner celebrating Grandmas 75th birthday that's going to be zip tied to a fence for 3 hours does not ned a hem