• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Banner Hemming Question

pure_media

We do the tape way of hemming. the way we do it works just fine and looks great. the only problem we get is bunching. When i finish hemming a banner i gently fold it over on itself (not making a crease or anyhting just a slight curl) and put it off to the side on another table. Later when i look at the banner, there is bunching where the curled part is. It's bunching up and my boss does not like it and neither do i. Is it because the glue hasn't settled long enough on the material? Should i not fold over the banner onto itself right away? what do you guys do? is it just something that happens and is a down part to using the tape system rather than sewing?

I appreciate your help everyone, I've been searching all afternoon and can't find the exact answer im looking for.
Thanks!

J Hill Designs

I like this method the best...

I use a slightly different approach. After trimming to size (1" larger than finish size) I turn the banner over. Butting my 4' ruler (that just happens to be 2 1/8" wide) to the edge of the vinyl, I draw a line from one end to the other. I apply the tape between the line and the edge of the banner. I then fold the edge of the banner up to the upper edge of the tape, starting in the middle and working to the ends. The extra 1/8" adds a small air pocket that allows all the air to escape when I squeegee over the seam.

This way I can see the tape; it's not on the underside as I fold, and I have a line to follow that gives me a nice straight edge, and the small gap guarantees no trapped air bubbles.

pure_media

yeah our method is similar. i print a 1" tape section with a 1/16" gap from there to banner color. i flip the banner over and fold to the edge of banner color and crease sharply to make a nice fold. i then lay the tape down in that crease edge, peel off the backing, and fold the banner onto the tape, firmly and evenly applying from middle to outter edge, making sure of no air bubbles or creases or wrinkles. It turns out great! flat no wrinkles and the grommets go in perfect. but then putting off to the side to make room for the next it gets overlapped onto eachother, thus making a bunched up wrinkle of media. how can that be avoided? That previous post does not mention of what happens after you are done with the banner. Is this just what happens when using tape?

gabagoo

I know about the bunching dilemma. It is caused primarily by stretching the banner tape as it goes down. Gently tap it down along the length then use a squeegee to adhere it.

pure_media

that could be the cause. i dont pull it super tight, but i make it taught, not bunched or loose or wavy. i'll try tapping in short intervalls and then go over with a squeegee. i was thinking that the glue was pulling itself in together, could be cause its too tight....hmmmm

ocean502

I used to hem with tape and was told by another sign friend that with ultraflex no hemming needed! Since I have not been hemming and have not seen any probs or no complaints!! Soo much easier!!

ocean502

When I did use tape I printed a 1" (2-1" if I wanted a white border) border as my cut line, cut, placed tape on edge, and folded over to line or border of print.