Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Banner Hemming Question

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by pure_media, Jan 29, 2010.

1. pure_media

pure_media Member

Jan 8, 2010
    We do the tape way of hemming. the way we do it works just fine and looks great. the only problem we get is bunching. When i finish hemming a banner i gently fold it over on itself (not making a crease or anyhting just a slight curl) and put it off to the side on another table. Later when i look at the banner, there is bunching where the curled part is. It's bunching up and my boss does not like it and neither do i. Is it because the glue hasn't settled long enough on the material? Should i not fold over the banner onto itself right away? what do you guys do? is it just something that happens and is a down part to using the tape system rather than sewing?

I appreciate your help everyone, I've been searching all afternoon and can't find the exact answer im looking for.
    Thanks!

Tags:
  2. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    I like this method the best...

3. pure_media

pure_media Member

Jan 8, 2010
    yeah our method is similar. i print a 1" tape section with a 1/16" gap from there to banner color. i flip the banner over and fold to the edge of banner color and crease sharply to make a nice fold. i then lay the tape down in that crease edge, peel off the backing, and fold the banner onto the tape, firmly and evenly applying from middle to outter edge, making sure of no air bubbles or creases or wrinkles. It turns out great! flat no wrinkles and the grommets go in perfect. but then putting off to the side to make room for the next it gets overlapped onto eachother, thus making a bunched up wrinkle of media. how can that be avoided? That previous post does not mention of what happens after you are done with the banner. Is this just what happens when using tape?

4. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    Not sure of the question I guess...my banners go from table to roll - never a bunching issue here...

5. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    I know about the bunching dilemma. It is caused primarily by stretching the banner tape as it goes down. Gently tap it down along the length then use a squeegee to adhere it.

6. pure_media

pure_media Member

Jan 8, 2010
    that could be the cause. i dont pull it super tight, but i make it taught, not bunched or loose or wavy. i'll try tapping in short intervalls and then go over with a squeegee. i was thinking that the glue was pulling itself in together, could be cause its too tight....hmmmm

7. ocean502

ocean502 Member

Apr 29, 2008
    California
    I used to hem with tape and was told by another sign friend that with ultraflex no hemming needed! Since I have not been hemming and have not seen any probs or no complaints!! Soo much easier!!

8. ocean502

ocean502 Member

Apr 29, 2008
    California
    When I did use tape I printed a 1" (2-1" if I wanted a white border) border as my cut line, cut, placed tape on edge, and folded over to line or border of print.