• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Banner hemming, sewing machine or heat hemming?

JBowen747

Ok guys got another newbie question :Big Laugh , do you guys recommend hemmin banner material with a sewing machine or use heat? I have a singer 20U33 upholstery machine that I can use and just curious as to what needle size and type of thread you guys use if you sew them. And what are some pro's and con's to sewing or using heat to hem a banner?

Pat Whatley

I don't do either in-house but I greatly prefer heat welding over hemming. It's stronger and to me it looks a lot cleaner. When I sub banners out that's the way I have them finished.

In-house we use banner hem tape. No complaints on that end either.

massivegraphics

Heat Weld

We have a leister uniplan E with hem kit and it is awsome. We WILL not sub anything out to another company. Yes it cost arounf 5K but it will pay for itself much faster than hem tape.

The welds look great and you can do face-to-face seams to make larger finished sizes if needed.

Look into it. Malcom.com

ova

Ok guys got another newbie question :Big Laugh , do you guys recommend hemmin banner material with a sewing machine or use heat? I have a singer 20U33 upholstery machine that I can use and just curious as to what needle size and type of thread you guys use if you sew them. And what are some pro's and con's to sewing or using heat to hem a banner?

Hello from just up the road. Which one of the ten houses in Proctor do you live in? J/K Used to get my race car engines done by Floyd Emery in Protor.

There's a company here in town that makes banner blanks. If you're not printing straight to the banner, their turn around time is great. Most time same day. Prices are good also. We don't do much printing straight to banners, but when we do, they will weld the seams and put the groments in for us.
:thread Almost
If you're ever in the neighborhood, stop by

Dave

MichaelL

We heat weld billboards but just use a double sided tape on smooth vinyl banners. Quick and easy.

Edserv

We use hem tape. We follow a pattern around the table (wearing a side-pouch with grommets and knife) then follow the pattern "back around" grabbing the grommet machine and do it again. We can usually get a 3x8 done in under 5 to 7 minutes. + Packaging, invoicing, etc, under 10 minutes.