• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Banner hemming welding system?

Awards+

Who has a heat welding system that's switched over from sewed hems? What are the disadvantages versus the advantages. We are currently paying someone to hem our banners and would love a way to cut cost but worried about the outdoor durability of a welded hem versus a sewn hem.

Thanks

Sticky Signs

I think you will get some different opinions on this. Some people like sewing and some people like welding and some people use tape. Personally, I prefer welding. There's a lot of stuff to consider if you're looking to get a welder. Space is probably one of the biggest issues you will face. There's a bunch of different systems out there and they all have their pros and cons. You need to figure out what kind of welding you will be doing in order to decide on a particular system. Some systems are only good at certain types of welds while others can do multiple styles of welds. None of these systems are cheap so do your homework. Spend some time with the different vendors at a trade show and ask lots of questions to see what system will best suit your needs.
Oh, and keep in mind that welding is kinda like laminating. It's a bit of an "art" as it takes some getting used to and you will most likely ruin a bunch of prints till you get the hang of it.

Awards+

I think you will get some different opinions on this. Some people like sewing and some people like welding and some people use tape. Personally, I prefer welding. There's a lot of stuff to consider if you're looking to get a welder. Space is probably one of the biggest issues you will face. There's a bunch of different systems out there and they all have their pros and cons. You need to figure out what kind of welding you will be doing in order to decide on a particular system. Some systems are only good at certain types of welds while others can do multiple styles of welds. None of these systems are cheap so do your homework. Spend some time with the different vendors at a trade show and ask lots of questions to see what system will best suit your needs.
Oh, and keep in mind that welding is kinda like laminating. It's a bit of an "art" as it takes some getting used to and you will most likely ruin a bunch of prints till you get the hang of it.

What brands are recomended?

Jack Knight1979

I have a uniplan, which I love. It's slow and annoying at times, but great way to up-sell welded hems instead of taped. I also up-sell webbing in the hems.

I wouldn't use it for a large banner orders. It's fine for a one off, or a couple banners, but if I had to do a large run of them with the leister I would sub it out. The uniplan is too slow and heavy. If you want to weld a good amount of banners daily go for an RF system with a gantry. I believe you're looking at 15k - 30k.

The heat systems are a good starting point, but they smoke the vinyl up and stink up the shop at times. The Uniplan is around 5k.

Great machine to invest in. Never once has it had a problem other than a blower motor that needed replacing. The bearing finally wore out. Quick twenty minute repair.

Sticky Signs

Miller weld master makes awesome stuff but it's pricey.
I've got a Triad that does pretty good work.
there's also the RF welders but I'm not sure who makes em. Also very pricey.

teampix

Founder, President, Janitor
Banner Hem Welding

Miller weld master makes awesome stuff but it's pricey.
I've got a Triad that does pretty good work.
there's also the RF welders but I'm not sure who makes em. Also very pricey.

Hi Sticky,

I'm guessing the Miller T3 may not have been available when you purchased your Sinclair Triad. I'm a banner newbie facing the choice between the Triad and T3 ($4k more) at the moment. I'm sure you are happy with your Triad.

Your thoughts please?
Thanks

sandraF

Hi,

Any news on the T3 or the Triad, I'm also looking at them.
Any feedbacks would be appreciated.
Thank you

Uwe Fischer

Here a little video made with my handy. Sorry about the bad qualitiy, i hope it helps a little bit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnY2CDHm5H4

We have two Leister Uniplans and have made banners up to 20m x 30m/65 x 98 feet.
It is important to use a bannermaterial with a high proportion pvc, otherwise it dont weld properly.
Sorry abaout my english, i hope you understand what i mean.

API

We do billboards and banners. All outdoor. I use either a uniplan or my Miller 112 for large banners and billboards. The small banners, I use a Miller m100 or a Miller double himmer. The uniplans are nice if you do just hims and pockets but if you are running rope then the Millers are hard to beat. Like posted above, welding is a touchy science. Good operators are very valuable.