• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

banner hemming with tape

Shadowglen

OK I have searched in tips and tricks trying to find help in the area of hemming my banners with double sided hem tape 1" no matter how I do it I seem to get creases and not always the straightest hems. If there is a thread on this already please point me there. I have seen many amazing tips on this board. any help is appreciated.

J Hill Designs

draw a line 2 1/8" inset on the back of the banner. lay down tape on that line. fold, starting in the middle working either way outwards. its simple and takes 5 mins.

steeltech

Practice. My example, For 8 footers I pre-crease a 1" inset line without markings. Place the hemming tape down inside your crease and expose the top, fold the crease back over with about 18-24 inches separating your hands to properly get a straight, even line. Once the center is down, the outsides should flow to the ends and continue in a straight path. Once its pressed down by hand, I use a squeegee to press it down tight, and create a tight fold. There are folks who have done this longer than I have , and probably have greater tips. This is my method, and no one showed me how but I get pretty good results. The trick is to LIGHTLY press it down at the center then work your way out, because you can pull it up if its not to your liking. Once its down correct, press with squeegee. Presto Change-O!

tsgstl

most straight edges are 2"-2.5" wide just lay it down and mark it off (ON THE BACK) after a while you wont need to do this anymore.

Shadowglen

Dave, are you trying to complete the hems by yourself, or with a second set of hands?

Usually flying solo in the sign shop most everything on my own.

I will try the Line suggestion I was eyeballing before using the tape as a guide. Thanks I will practice on some banner scraps.

J Hill Designs

Yeah I used to put the tape on the edge and eyeball it, but when I found out about the 2 1/8" trick its now extremely simple (the extra 1/8" is for air pocket room)

I made an 8' straight edge @ 2 1/8" wide out of scrap sintra for easy line making

Pat Whatley

Like they said above the key for me has been drawing a line 2" up on the banner, applying the tape to that line, and then folding the material over that. You might still get a crease this way but it will be on the back so it's not seen.

westpointsigns

I print a 1/8" outline 1" away from the finished size around the banner for trimming.

If the inside of the banner is white inside then I print a box that is going to be the finished size and another outline (1" from the finished size outline) that is my edge so I have a trim line and an outline in which to fold to.

From there I tape the edge and fold it over to the banner edge outline starting from the middle working to one side then to the other.

Straight and Square every time.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Practice. My example, For 8 footers I pre-crease a 1" inset line without markings. Place the hemming tape down inside your crease and expose the top, fold the crease back over with about 18-24 inches separating your hands to properly get a straight, even line. Once the center is down, the outsides should flow to the ends and continue in a straight path. Once its pressed down by hand, I use a squeegee to press it down tight, and create a tight fold. There are folks who have done this longer than I have , and probably have greater tips. This is my method, and no one showed me how but I get pretty good results. The trick is to LIGHTLY press it down at the center then work your way out, because you can pull it up if its not to your liking. Once its down correct, press with squeegee. Presto Change-O!

Yes this method!....but I tape the edge first, then pre-crease along the edge of the tape....its very easy to 'feel' where it needs to crease. Then peel off the liner, start in the middle and work your way down, pressing firmly. After it's all down, we use a J roller to press it to a nice crisp edge. I can run a 4' x 20' banner on our table in about 10 minutes.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
The reason you get wrinkles, folds, and creases is that you're not holding the banner material flat on the table through the entire taping process. The trick is to leave your long rule laying on the banner to help hold it flat and keep it from moving. Winkles and stuff happen because the banner material is not being held flat and motionless on the table top.

Step by step...

First draw a 2" line. I use a 2" wide 6' rule aligned to the edge of the banner material. I draw the l2" line on all four edges

I set the 6' rule on the banner about 1.5"-2" in. This holds the banner flat. If the banner is relatively small I'll add a few architect's paper weights, shot filled leather bags, to hold it flat.

I put the tape on the edge of the banner and not at the 2" line.

Once I put the tape down I run an old squeegee over it such that the fabric pattern in the banner material shows in the backing on the tape.

Then I move the 6' rule to slightly inside the 2" line. Still using it to hold the banner material flat.

Remove the tape backing and fold to the 2" line using a Brayer roller in a constant black and forth motion at a slight angle to the edge.

ChicagoGraphics

The easy way of doing it is, when you print your banners let's use 48"x96" full color, make your art board 50"x98" and print a 0.0001 stroke line around your banner, now you trim it on that black lineand should be an inchof white space,flip it over lay your tape on the edge and fold from the center. No need to draw any lines, it's as easy as 1-2-3

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
We don't tape many banners here - the weather tends to cause failures with tape.
When we do for interior or short term stuff we do it kinda like bob - but a little faster.
No drawn lines just tape on the edge, pre-crease using the tape as a guide.
I start at the end, set a few inches and then use a quick grip spring clamp so that I can pull the seam straight and tight as I fold the rest down the line.
(have a 16ft table so I can set the top and bottom hems without moving most banners)
It leaves a very smooth, clean fold.

wayne k
guam usa

2B

The easy way of doing it is, when you print your banners let's use 48"x96" full color, make your art board 50"x98" and print a 0.0001 stroke line around your banner, now you trim it on that black lineand should be an inchof white space,flip it over lay your tape on the edge and fold from the center. No need to draw any lines, it's as easy as 1-2-3

Same principal works for the white background banners do a box that is the correct size that then finished banner needs to be, print the box as a faint line border only so when you turn the banner over and apply the tape it is hemmed until the faint line is in the crease of the hem

also the denier in the banner can be used as a guide for the hemmed edge.

Shadowglen

Thanks all!

Used the 2 1/8" line method and it went off perfect.:thumb:

Attachments

• banner.jpg
    banner.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 103

Tim Aucoin

Here's a video of me hemming a 4' x 14' banner using tape (there were 6 banners for this particular job). I'm taping along the edge and folding in, BUT... I have also used the Onyx Sign & Banner Plug-In for Illustrator on the print file. This plug-in automatically adds 1" bleed and prints a line (color is my choice) 1" in from the bleed. I trim the banner to the edge of the bleed, turn it over, tape it, then I fold it in creasing on the printed line. Very simple, and very fast.

Oh yes... the plug-in also prints grommet marks at whatever intervals I specify. Great little tool if you do banners on a regular basis. :smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OKVTo7st0w

Shadowglen

Thanks I have seen that video several times in my search for tips. I always go to you tube. Your commentary is what through me off Tim. :Big Laugh

I was digging Jackson Brown then the Bee Gees jumped in. It makes more sense now.

I saw the area that looked like a grommet hole yesterday and wondered what was up. Now I understand.

Dave