• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Banner Hemming

divers2deep

Quick question, all of the banners i perform in house, we use double sided tape to perform a quick hem and pop grommets through. I have a customer looking for a pole pocket on top of the banner for a parade. Just wondering if you would outsource this to be hemmed by thread ? What are your ways of doing this ?

Robert M

banner

Yes to the banner tape, I have a 30" x 60" on a pole in front of my building for over two years with 1" banner tape making the connection. I did put a grommet at each end.

Good banner tape will work. I usually use HH-66 for pole loops though. I've found it's much better, especially since banner tape tends to let loose in hot weather or with a little age.

omgsideburns

Banner tape is fine, sometimes you can give yourself extra and do two lines of it if you are unsure.. And yes, grommet it together on the ends, that's really the weak spot anyway.

OlsonSigns601

We use conduit at the top and have it hang out about 1' and we also put some at the bottom to weigh it down so it doesn't flap around like a flag when they carry it.

All taped with oracal banner tape..

trimitbyrich

Another thing that works great on hemming banners is PVC glue. The stuff that you use to glue PVC pipes. It holds better than anything you'll ever use. It literally welds the material together.

rjssigns

Another thing that works great on hemming banners is PVC glue. The stuff that you use to glue PVC pipes. It holds better than anything you'll ever use. It literally welds the material together.

And to think I only used it for that late afternoon pick me up.:Big Laugh

On a more serious note how do you keep it from squeezing out and making a mess?

DizzyMarkus

Since were on banner hems -- anyone care to share their secrets on folding the edges without waves or wrinkles? I always seem to chase it to one spot and get a small fold. Wondered if using a long staright edge to try and fold it over at once :0) Something along those lines.

Thank you,
Markus

rjssigns

Since were on banner hems -- anyone care to share their secrets on folding the edges without waves or wrinkles? I always seem to chase it to one spot and get a small fold. Wondered if using a long staright edge to try and fold it over at once :0) Something along those lines.

Thank you,
Markus

When taping I always pre-fold way ahead of where I'm working. I always have layout marks at 1" also.(stops wandering) I constantly stretch and smooth as I lay the hem down. Once it's down I take a gold squeegee and lay it flat on the hem. Push down firmly and burnish. Makes a super flat hem with negligible "wiggle".

Now that I think of it you could use the squeegee trick to pre-flatten before taping.

DizzyMarkus

Thanks for the reply, strange I didn't get an email :0)

That is my process mostly:

I draw a complete (light) line @ 1 1'8" as the tapes @ 1"
Fold and flatten as you
Apply tape to unfolded side and just inside the line
I use a 3" laminating roller for final-- super flat

Heres where I haven't figured out where I am more comfortable -- center out or side to side lol. Center out I always get (pretty small)kinkle :thumb: off center , on either end (75% either way of center) and only visible on the back.

Side to side -- harder to run 8' evenly for me, it tends to "get smaller" at one end :banghead: and usualy a small one lands in center.

So its been center out and not one customer has said a word. They are really pretty small to say, just me searching for "a better way"

Markus

rjssigns

Markus I just go side to side. Tried center out and effed things up. Another thing you may find amusing with an opaque product is something I failed to mention. I line up the banner edge square to the grid on my cutting mat. Just gives me a plane of reference at the ends. Seems to help.

divers2deep

Thanks for everyone's help on this, the tape was definitely enough and these boys were proud to walk with their banner!

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    320 KB · Views: 71