• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Banner Hemming

adseureka

I want everything you sign making types got on this.
Reviews of products, brands, types, methods, and more.
I've been making most types of signs, banners, stickers and wraps for three years and have considerable experience with this. Just want the whole enchilada.
Im most curious about double sided tape(that works) and pvc cement but I want it alllllllllllll.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Most of the time - old school here with a needle and thread...... of course they are on an industrial walking foot sewing machine. Webbing - sometimes - that depends on the expected longevity and expected wind exposure. Never been a fan of tape but we do use it some for quickies. I dislike the way it makes the edges scrunch when you roll the banner up. Just something about a true hemmed edge that looks like quality and personal attention to detail to me. Welding is a tempting option though. The cheapest there are handheld hot air ones, not really sure how well they do to be honest. I know some of this style are also motorized so they control their speed to assure a proper weld and they vary from hot air to hot wedge types. They range from the real cheapo Chinese ones to the quality ones from the likes of Leister. Then there are the fixed ones where you weld one section of banner, move it then weld the next section. I believe some are also ultrasonic versus hot but I'm not certain on that. I do know most of the fixed ones used a hot bar instead of hot air. If you want to go all out price one of the real big fixed bar ones from Miller.... There are also automatic tape applicator ones around too.

Jack Knight1979

We tape most banners here. With expensive hemming tape. Never had a failure or complaint in eight years. We also have a uniplan welder, which we initially bought for hemming banners. Don't bother guys. It's awful at hemming banners. We have the attachments for it, and it's a pain. The uniplan does do a great job at hems when using webbing. The added strength of the webbing assists in the weld of the hem. The uniplan shines at welding panels together and making pole pockets. That's it.

Sewing and taping are the fastest methods in my opinion.

DIGIXTRA

Digixtra
Hi Jack,
What kind/name of tape you used for banner? I used white Sakura tape and only have bad experience with it.. As soon as I roll/fold the banner the tape won't hold the anymore..

We tape most banners here. With expensive hemming tape. Never had a failure or complaint in eight years. We also have a uniplan welder, which we initially bought for hemming banners. Don't bother guys. It's awful at hemming banners. We have the attachments for it, and it's a pain. The uniplan does do a great job at hems when using webbing. The added strength of the webbing assists in the weld of the hem. The uniplan shines at welding panels together and making pole pockets. That's it.

Sewing and taping are the fastest methods in my opinion.

Mosh

I have never had an issue with the oracal tape. I used to sew, taping is so much faster, thus cheaper.
BANNERS=CHEAP SIGN in most customer's mind.

Christian @ 2CT Media

We use 3M Banner tape or Sew with our double needed lock or chain stitch machines.

Sewing is much cheaper cost wise with a hem folder.... takes only about 3-4 mins to do a 4x8 banner and thread costs us about $.03/ft.

danno

We sew and tape hem. Sewing is preferred in my opinion. Nicer,cleaner look. Double needle. 1 1/4" hem. Webbing if needed for longer outdoor life. We use tape if the customer has to have it now.

FishnSigns

Your banners will look so much more professional if you sew them or weld them. We have sewn our banners with a Kansai double needle for 8 years and have had very good luck. We just bought a Miller Weldmaster, can't wait to finish banners even faster. We will still keep the sewing machine for custom projects.