• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

banner layout

fisheye48

Using customers logo, and wants a beach type backround since that is where his product will be used...need critiques on the layout or what i need to change...be as harsh as you want it helps me learn and want to get better

Attachments

• pffbanner.jpg
    pffbanner.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 100

d fleming

A start
Outline metal to make it pop more, spelling (steel not steal), kerning on side text makes it almost unreadable.

GP

Wow - I can't read the thumbnail at all.

I opened it - then didn't WANT to read it.

Too many fonts, too many effects, bad colors, no real priority given to any part of the message.

You should look around, ready some layout books, open a magazine and take note of favorite designs. Watch a Corona commercial. Simple is often better.

Sorry to be harsh, but this is not a winner.

EDIT - the website looks good - the way the sand breaks up the background...draws my eye to the lower left corner.

Keep at it - good luck,

GP

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
no real focus to the banner....my eyes wander...they're not drawn to one particular spot....as said before too many fonts...and the fonts used are too distorted/stretched....

have you ever tried scribbling out a layout??? it may take three or four tries to get everything to work together, but it's a lot faster than designing three or four times...

Jon Aston

The best way to gain the design direction you need is to ask your client(s) the right questions, and let their answers guide you...

Eg.
  • What is the primary objective for this banner?
  • Where is it being installed?
  • Who will see it?
  • What is the primary message, and why?
  • How will you measure success?

GoodPeopleFlags

Lighten up the background; make it SUBTLE. Take out "We Sell" completely. His customers will figure out that's what he's selling... if they can read it. So change that text to a plain block and keep them all condensed to the same percentage, if you have to condense at all.

Marlene

squeezing and squishing lettering so that it is bigger is a big mistake as yes, the letters are bigger, but it is almost impossible to read. never sqish a font. since there is way too much copy on the banner, having a background as complex as that really kills any reading what is says. you may have to make panels for the lettering. the font choices are over done too. with a complex background the last thing you want to do is put complex fonts all over it. think plaid suit with striped shirt, poka dotted tie and two toned shoes...eeek

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Is that their logo? Or is that something that was logo-ized as part of the layout.

signmeup

Here's a suggestion. It's a little hard to read in the small size but if you do a proper contour around the yellow lettering it will be legible. I just tossed it together with an outline.

Attachments

• RuggedMetal.jpg
    RuggedMetal.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 88

Gino

Premium Subscriber
In the OP's picture.... it's hard to read the 'istockphoto' at all. I think you need to start by making that more pronounced. Work the rest in around that.

signmeup

cant read the top line because of the sunset, signmeup
Yeah.... Needs a proper contour. I figured he was gonna use the beach scene anyway. T'was more of a suggestion to separate the logo from the pic and reduce the copy. The top line reads "The toughest fishing, boating and outdoor gear on the planet." Gives the reader some idea of what the banner is going on about.

jiarby

did you charge by the font or something?> why 7 different fonts on one sign?

STEEL is not spelled STEAL.... Must be a Freudian slip! LOL

Jillbeans

It's not that I yell about squishing fonts, it just looks so wrong to me.
SignMeUp has a good start but man that is one busy crammed banner.
Did OP do the layout? I see you're in P'Cola.
:)
I don't have Bleeding Cowboys but here is a quick suggestion.
Love....Jill

Attachments

• Graphic1.jpg
    Graphic1.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 82
  • Graphic2.jpg
    Graphic2.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 89

Marlene

like how Jill broke up the copy and found a way to make a busy background work. also like how she can spell "steel":biggrin: ooops on the "steal" I totally missed that as I could barely read any of the squished copy