• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Banner material

DizzyMarkus

Hiya all,

I seem to be having an issue running some banner material through my Roland SP-300V. The 10oz scrim seems to run ok but every once in awhile I get a spot where it appears to brush ink on the edge.Sometime sit appears to wrinkle (bad description) or a small wave. The 13oz had a huge mishap today and started to bunch up separating the carriages. I didn't know what to do so I powered down slide the carriages back together and refired it up -- all seems well

So my long question is what am I doing wrong hehe -- Do I need to change the vacuum power-- already at 100% --- pinch roller pressure?(is that possible?) I am feeding the machine off a roll on the 13oz and a 8' piece of 10oz on a spare tube.

thanks greatly, I don't want to mess anything up.

Markus

Here is the banner material:
http://www.beacongraphics.com/inkjet/versacamm-media-banner.html
(2nd semi gloss )

J

john1

Try toning down the printer heat only. Mines at 90 on 13oz. Drips on the side are fibers on the heads from the banner roll edges. Clean and inspect the heads with a led light in a dark room. Inspect in dark room but clean when it's lit lol

Mosh

We Only use Key 13 oz material... if hyou are running a 8' banner load the material and the roll off 10' of material for slack...problem solved..also run 1' or so out the front and we hang weights on the front slACK. hOPE THIS HELPS, SORRY BEAN FARMING ALL DAY...

BlueDuck

I agree with the comments above,
Banner vinyl is harder to print than SAV, getting small ripples in the stock happens so easily,
resulting in the heads brushing the fresh print or worst knocking the print carraige off.
Small ripples will come from the act of pulling the banner stock off the roll(pre roll it out),- possibly too much heat expanding the stock as it goes through the pinch wheels,
-having the pinch wheels too close the edge if the stock.
-even the weight of a long loop hanging down the back can be enough.
I have also added weights (clamps) the front to help balance the weight of the back loop

I rarely leave banners printing unattended for very long.

Having the pinch wheels too close the edge is solved by having stock wider than the minimum, so for my SP300 I get the stock cut wider to 800-830mm(32" or 33")

Farmboy

+1 to all the above. Also, Roland recommends printing banner material on the Normal vacuum setting.

DizzyMarkus

Awsome so this is pretty much normal for this. The 10oz ran much better lol

So I will try it cut slightly over length to see what happens.

John -- I tired it with no heat -- print heat only, the marks on the side are actual rubs and happened only once over 8'. :0) I'll see if I can photo it when I return to the shop.

I recieved media clamps but have never used them.

I am going to try the small weights also as a very little amount pof pressure seems to flatten it out nicely.

On a side note: --------------------- FOUND SOME THANK YOU
Does anyone know of a youtube video or maintence video of how and where to clean a Roland-SP300V. The guy that set me up was pretty quick and didnt leave me any solution for cleaning.I did get some swabs hehe

thanks greatly for the wealth of help from here,
Markus

Last edited: