• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Banner on Mutoh Valuejet 1604

k6media

Hey guys..

Brand new to the Mutoh.. just received it 2 weeks ago. We printed banner for the first time this week.

We noticed after testing our banner 1 day later that we can smudge the ink on the banner.

Any advice on how to fix that? Is it a heating issue? if so what should my settings be?

jc1cell

I run banner media with all heaters maxed at 50 without any issues...always with the head on low for high quality and on high for low quality.

jc

randya

I run my banners from 35/38/50 to as high as the banner material will go before cockling and giving head strikes, depending on the banner itself.

It is important to keep you media in the same environment as the printer for a few days to stabilize.

Printing cold on a cold media may be your issue.

jiarby

I think that your pre & platen settings are too low and the ink is pooling.

I use 40-42-50 for 13oz UltraFlex

Flame

Cold media really stinks. Had that, doesn't print well.

I've been printing fine with my ValueJet. What media are you using? I've noticed some of the chinese banner brands don't take ink well. Take over a day to properly cure, and never bond all that well.

Matt Cuellar

I use 41/41/46 on my 13 oz scrim, no issues. What brand is it? I second Flame's comment in that if it's offshore stuff, inconsistencies in the coating are very common. But it sounds like part of the problem is your heat settings are too low, try an increase and see what happens.

k6media

Let me give the heat settings a try today!

and of course I didn't print on the wrong side of the banner!..

OneUpTenn

Another thing you might want to think about is trashing about the first 4 or 5 feet. I noticed that when I printed on that first part of the roll, I guess where its been handled, the ink just wont stick or it smudges. Maybe your next ones wont do that.

Conor Knoxx

yes, I find I have to be very careful with the heat settings on some banner materials - otherwise it "puckers up" between the rollers, and starts striking the head on the way by, which is very not-good for it ; ) and leaves black smudges / stripes.

I've never had any problems with it not adhering properly though.

kstompaint

I did some 13 oz Zeelon and had some similar problems. Not severe, but when hemming it was rubbing off a little and that was after sitting for a day. My heaters were at 40/40/45, I think... and I was having heating issues in the shop. I think it was a temperature issue.