• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

banner over an oven? hot question!

PrintQueen

Hey y'all. We just got a job in for our campus dining department. they've got an area above a small oven where they would like to hang a banner. They are asking if a vinyl banner is a good option - it will only be up for about 2 months. I've uploaded their mockup for reference to oven and location (plz ignore the cheezy graphic puns).

looking for opinions or recommendations. we use a latex printer and our two banner vinyls that we have on hand are 13oz Duratex or 18oz Ultraflex. Both look like they passed NFPA 701-TM2, and the ultraflex looks like it also passed CA Title 19. They asked for 13oz, but I'm leaning toward the 18oz.. but wanted to get a 2nd opinion.

thanks!

:flamey:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-20 at 10.04.11 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-20 at 10.04.11 AM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 169

RaymondLoewy

Pretty fly for a Sign Guy
I would pull the spec sheet for the material you are considering and see what kind heat/flammability rating it has.

PrintQueen

I would pull the spec sheet for the material you are considering and see what kind heat/flammability rating it has.

i took a look at them but i honestly don't know how to read through this stuff. figured i'd see if anyone here had any expertise.
i've attached the info I was able to pull.. it's all confusing to me. :covereyes:

Attachments

• Duratex 13oz Scrim Banner FR.pdf
    45.7 KB · Views: 108
  • ultraflex fr.pdf
    111.6 KB · Views: 116

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
In my experience, all the heat from an oven is inside the oven. This is a non-issue.

Billct2

It's hot around ovens and if it was a permanent sign I'd say use aluminum.
Not just for safety but also cleanliness, it's gets real dirty greasy around cooking.
But since it's temp I'd be Ok with a banner but I'd hang it a little higher

PrintQueen

Not just for safety but also cleanliness, it's gets real dirty greasy around cooking.

i agree with the aluminum. i was going to recommend something like that but i know that they'll say that they only want something temporary, which is why they were learning toward the banner. I think i'll have them go with the 18oz vs the 13oz, and I'll recommend that they hang it a little higher. thanks for your input, I appreciate your feedback!

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Sure it can be hot around ovens. It's also hot as balls outside, and I don't see any banners melting or bursting in to flames. But go with what you feel I say.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
One thing to consider........ if this is temporary, how do you intend to hang it and how will you patch the holes (or recommend to them) how to patch the holes when they're done with the banner ??

Billct2

Drop ceiling so ceiling clips with wire or jack chain and I'd use pole pockets with a piece of pvc pipe top & bottom

jochwat

Graphics Department
Looks like a job tailor-made for removable wall vinyl (e.g. Briteline's Rad Grafix 6 mil removable and repositionable PVC wall graphic vinyl). As long as any heat from the oven that rises to the vinyl isn't over 200 degrees F, it's all good.

Greg Kelm

www.cheetaprint.com
In my experience, all the heat from an oven is inside the oven. This is a non-issue.
I agree. If it put out any kind of substantial heat, it wouldn't be on a counter close to the wall. If temporary, use 3m command hooks to hang or even colored thumbtacks it that's drywall.

RaymondLoewy

Pretty fly for a Sign Guy
i agree with the aluminum. i was going to recommend something like that but i know that they'll say that they only want something temporary, which is why they were learning toward the banner. I think i'll have them go with the 18oz vs the 13oz, and I'll recommend that they hang it a little higher. thanks for your input, I appreciate your feedback!
You might consider selling them on aluminum by telling them you may be able to clean and reface the front side and if not apply a print to the back side and provide longer service of what your are selling them will knowing if they do, they will come back to pay you more.

Just my opinion. Let me know what happens, I like to see how projects wind up after people post asking for ideas.