• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

banner pricing

401Graphics

I sell banners at $5 a sq/ft. and i get some customers once in a while that think that is too high, or they say they can get it cheap at another shop. (and I thought my prices were pretty low for this area)
I also sell wholesale to other printing shops at half that cost.

visual800

If we had to sell banners that cheap.... I'd put a stop to doing banners, altogether. We get 3 times what you're getting and we're still competitive. We probably do 20 or 30 banners a week for end-users.

Recently, we just did 2pcs. 4' x 8' banners, 1-sided and got almost $25, a square foot. They liked them so much..... they ordered two more, plus some banner ups set-ups with banners.

:noway: Doing this stuff for the prices you mentioned is just plain ludicrous. Your prices are only too high if you are comparing banner to banner with the other shop. If the quality, craftsmanship and service are the same, then don't compete with a lowballer. Let him get all of the banner business he can get..... and let him go out of business when at the end of the month he can't pay anything except for more banner material and possibly some ink, but has nothing towards overhead, profit and more supplies.​

You get $800 for a damn 4x8 banner? really? hell i dont charge that for a double sided coroplast 4x8 on two posts

If you are charging that and people pay they must have no other sources did you quote that price of $25 per sq ft wrong??!!

visual800

I was informed today that my banner pricing is way too high. In my opinion I'm still cheap but in my area I have to raise prices slowly. I currently sale a 3 by 6 printed banner hemmed and grommeted single sided for $65. However I just got the price list for shop in next town they do 3 by 6 for $45. Unreal!!!

I guess I understand why I was just asked by another shop in that town to start helping them do shirts and embroidery so they can try to get more customers in the door.

I would have sold that for $80 and only paid $40 at signs365 and yes i do get people are struggling and Ill do what i can to help if they are nice

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You're really gonna tell us you got $3200 for four 4x8 banners? Did you letter them with SignGold?

You get $800 for a damn 4x8 banner? really? hell i dont charge that for a double sided coroplast 4x8 on two posts

If you are charging that and people pay they must have no other sources did you quote that price of $25 per sq ft wrong??!!

Not a typo, but not the kinda thing I usually write out here in the open forums. Sorry.

We don't get that routinely, but we still get a lot more than the OP... or what you're sporting there visual.

Why sell things so cheaply ?? I want to do a top notch job, to get as much as I can and keep the customer coming back. Many of you complain about the competition, the hgh prices of inks or cleaning fluids or the time it takes to do a job correct from start to finish.

If you actually didn't get in your own way sometimes... you might be able to get more if you present and advertise yourself better.

• How do you think Dan A gets all those big fat accounts ??
  • How do you thing Joe D. gets all those neat jobs ??
  • How do you think Granpa Dan gets all those fabulous carving jobs ??

Presentation, execution and reputation. They educate their customers into wanting what they offer, then they market it and then make good on their word creating an incredible product AND reputation. Do you think these guys are worrying about doing two job signs or lettering the doors on a pick up ?? If it happens, yes, they'll do it, but on their terms, not what the guy down the street is charging or how cheap they can beat the other guy out. If you think small, you'll continue to remain small. So, where do you guys fit in ?? Are you constantly comparing yourself to the deadbeat down the street who is setting the bar at about zero or someone like the Dan A's and Granpa's level of excellence ?? Or maybe I should ask... where do you want to be ??

Locals Find!

Gino, Was that some kinda government contract?

When I was in the service I had to buy a $22 bottle of Armor all that cost $9 at Wal-mart 2 blocks outside of the base because, the supplier had a contract with the base. So I wasn't allowed to get shop supplies for my Flight elsewhere and had to pay whatever price he managed to get worked into his contract.

J

john1

Gino, amazing job on getting that job but i still am stunned of the price. It's great you got that price but wouldn't that pricing need to be consistent to anyone who orders a banner from you? I really think that this is a special once in a lifetime deal that you got this banner job for the pricing, No way everyone would go for this.

I would like to see this $800 4x8' also just to see

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Gino, Was that some kinda government contract?

When I was in the service I had to buy a $22 bottle of Armor all that cost $9 at Wal-mart 2 blocks outside of the base because, the supplier had a contract with the base. So I wasn't allowed to get shop supplies for my Flight elsewhere and had to pay whatever price he managed to get worked into his contract.

No, it's an old customer of ours for over 25 years now. We've gone through a few purchasers and contacts over the years, but we've been doing this sort of thing from the beginning with them. These particular jobs were a little above and beyond the norm, but I got that in addition on the art cost item in these particular jobs.

As I said, these are not routine, but comparing to the OP's original statements... we're normally 3 to 4 times what he thinks is ALREADY too high.

When one does outstanding work... one can demand outstanding prices.

Service, price and quality are always ever present in almost every one of our jobs. If you want cheap, we can do cheap... but why ??

I'd rather make signs for a good price all day long than get wrapped up in a price war. No one wins, so let it go and get known for doing the high-priced well made signs and stuff. There are plenty of customers that still prefer quality and service over cost. One just has to find them... or create them.

premiercolour

Merchant Member
I was informed today that my banner pricing is way too high. In my opinion I'm still cheap but in my area I have to raise prices slowly. I currently sale a 3 by 6 printed banner hemmed and grommeted single sided for $65. However I just got the price list for shop in next town they do 3 by 6 for $45. Unreal!!!

I guess I understand why I was just asked by another shop in that town to start helping them do shirts and embroidery so they can try to get more customers in the door.

Try southern california pricing. $45 is unreal expensive here.

visual800

Not a typo, but not the kinda thing I usually write out here in the open forums. Sorry.

We don't get that routinely, but we still get a lot more than the OP... or what you're sporting there visual.

Ok so what DO you get routinely? Was this a once in a lifetime price for this job and you said it was several years back? This reminds me of the old signcraft magazine where they had a section "What did you get for it" that was awhole gallery of BS prices.

Gino I would have to ask with respect what do you get now for a 4x8 banner and try to leave out a price you got back a few years agao and lets go with the current economy.

• How do you think Dan A gets all those big fat accounts ??
  • How do you thing Joe D. gets all those neat jobs ??
  • How do you think Granpa Dan gets all those fabulous carving jobs ??
I have respect for each of these guys but they have specialized talents and they are well known. and I dont let what others do affect how I run my business nor does it affect what I charge. It is what it is.

Lets all put the BS to the side and start spouting out the truth is what I want. anytime a post like this comes up theres always someone bashing the guy and mentioning hes too low and then I see the inflated totals of others posting under him. I get on here and tell it like it is. I have given stuff away before. I have done stuff real cheap just to do it cause it would look good in the portfolio. If there is a struggling new business I have done payment plans. It a chance but if it works out you gain a customer and some respect. Im sick of hearing about design charges. Everyone but me gets money down for designs but I always see post about how a client stole a design and the sign guy "didnt" get a fee this one time. This one special time.

There is nothing new under the sun, we have all done stupid sh**, we have all lost money and we have all given stuff away at some point. We are all the same it just depends on who would admit it. After doing this 23 years I have done the stupidest crap and I will continue to till I retire

Circleville Signs

Ok so what DO you get routinely? Was this a once in a lifetime price for this job and you said it was several years back? This reminds me of the old signcraft magazine where they had a section "What did you get for it" that was awhole gallery of BS prices.

Gino I would have to ask with respect what do you get now for a 4x8 banner and try to leave out a price you got back a few years agao and lets go with the current economy.

[/LIST]
I have respect for each of these guys but they have specialized talents and they are well known. and I dont let what others do affect how I run my business nor does it affect what I charge. It is what it is.

Lets all put the BS to the side and start spouting out the truth is what I want. anytime a post like this comes up theres always someone bashing the guy and mentioning hes too low and then I see the inflated totals of others posting under him. I get on here and tell it like it is. I have given stuff away before. I have done stuff real cheap just to do it cause it would look good in the portfolio. If there is a struggling new business I have done payment plans. It a chance but if it works out you gain a customer and some respect. Im sick of hearing about design charges. Everyone but me gets money down for designs but I always see post about how a client stole a design and the sign guy "didnt" get a fee this one time. This one special time.

There is nothing new under the sun, we have all done stupid sh**, we have all lost money and we have all given stuff away at some point. We are all the same it just depends on who would admit it. After doing this 23 years I have done the stupidest crap and I will continue to till I retire

A lot of this is very true - I think though the the difference between those of us who have been around a while and many of the newer folks is that we LEARN from those mistakes. For example - art charges. I absolutely used to get screwed on that stuff - hard core! But I learned from the mistake. Now, the only time I don't collect a deposit is for clients who have credit terms with us - and those terms authorize us to charge the card we have on file for any outstandin charges at 30 days.

As far as doing "cheap" stuff? Sure - I've done it, but never to compete with a low-baller. I also make sure that the invoice shows the full price, and then a discount - I never actually list the "reduced" price.

Does Gino get that much for banners now, or ever, consistently? No way. Does he get WAAYYYY more than $4.50/sf? I'd bet my life on it.

In my area we have the local lowballer (who buys wholesale from me, and I swear loses money on every job) that basically gives it away, and a guy who charges $10/sf who rarely does banner work. I'm at $6/sf + art charges. Only time I'm less than that is grad banner season, where I've got a library of templates for people to choose from, and I'm running banner on the printer 6 hours/day.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
The business is stuggling to stay open. I think they think any work is profit and do not look at other cost. I mean they are probable doubling material and thats about it. I just got some more of their pricing.

18 by 24 coro 1-side with stake $9
2-sided with stake $12

18 by 24 aluminum double sided $18
with real estate frame $40

24 by 36 aluminum double sided with real estate frame $60

4 by 8 aluminum $125
4 by 8 Dibond $225

I won't work for those prices and even if they go out of business they are only hurting the market of all the surrounding shops.

jesus christ on a cracker. i know my 'competitor' up the road is selling graphics grossly under priced ... but your prices you're posting are sad. I just found out that my only real 'competitor' is selling basically a full set of vehicle graphics for a rig for $65 (we are talking a pair of 12x18 logos, a pair of 9x12 leased to logos, all the dot's and vins, and truck number) removal AND install included ... that right there is 2-3 hours of work if done right ... and I know what their materials costs ... they use our supplier. only difference between us and them is they have a solvent printer so I'm guessing they are using the graphics as a loss leader to keep their print heads from drying up ... or they really don't understand that doing 3 hours of work for $40 (after materials) doesn't cover shop costs. ... either way ... sad really. just sad.

I could do it for $65 ... but I wouldn't be able to remove anything ever ... and even then ... the shop doesn't make money ... only I do since it would only cover my man hours, taxes, insurance for me, etc. ... no ... don't know how they are doing it with multiple employees and the same amount of work as us.

just do awesome design work, and tell anyone you do quotes for that you charge more because they get what they pay for with superior design work and because you'll actually turn a profit ... that you'll be able to make sure the little things that make the job look superior will get done. attention to details and all that ...

but seriously ... i just sold a 2x4 banner with one color of cut vinyl on it for $125 ... i will offer my subbed out banners for less ... but they have to wait a week or two for them ... and i can talk them into 5 or more of them where my wholesalers pricing drops to an awesome price so I can give the customer a 'discount' ... even then i would sell my subbed banners ... 3x6 at 125, and if they buy 5 or more would be somewhere around 95 each. .... so yeah ... your market sucks. ... and all that pricing is based on me doing practically no work when it comes to it's production.

Locals Find!

NO BS, I ask $145 for a 3x6 banner. I am sure I am probably on the higher side of my market. I do however, pay a commission off of those prices to the people I network with that usually bring me the work and I include the design time. Either in house or subbed out. Depending on the level of design required.

If someone comes in with ready to go artwork I drop it down to a straight $100 but, the artwork must be perfect. I don't wanna have to touch the file in anyway other than verifying it meets the specs required.

At your prices even as a broker I would get screwed. I would make less than $35 a job. I would have at least 2 hours into the project from start to finish. I would quit and get a regular job somewhere if that was all I was making. That doesn't give you enough money to be able to actually go out and sell or expand it just makes your business neutral. Your not growing or failing your just maintaining.

I did forget 1 item
Set of 12 by 24 vehicle magnets $25.

I totally understand its all about your market. Everything they do is pretty much words on stuff. No added effects or layouts. Just 2 different fonts name, number, sometime details.

I actually work way to much for the profit I make at the end of each month. But its hard to slowly increase prices when competitors continue to decrease. Like I said they do not outsource anything. I have talked to them last year and they said you can not make money outsourcing.

Not when you charging wholesale prices to you customers..

I guess I am just letting out a little steam. I'm going to continue to do whats best for my company and satisfy my customers. And the customers that just go for the cheapest, well I probably did not want their business anyway. Not that I wish bad on anyone but when I'm still here next year and they come back I will take their order with a SMILE.

Gino

Premium Subscriber

I stated twice in this thread alone, this is NOT routine for our shop. We did this set about three weeks ago and another set for the same customer just a short time ago.

PM with your e-mail address and I'll disclose that with you. Evidently, we have quite a few non-believers. So be it. I'm not here to defend what I get or how much I get.... I am just stating fact.

[/LIST]

Did you ever think you could be one of those guys ?? They put their pants on one leg at a time and eat, drink and sleep just like you. If you applied yourself... you could do the exact same thing. It's all about making choices and what 's easy to do.

This is not BS at all. The OP is entirely too low. Anyone much below $5. or $6. a square foot is pretty much working for free, unless you just want to ruin it for yourself and anyone else in your area. No bashing the guy... again, just stating fact. I'm sure you're a good guy and helps his fellow man, but I would hardly consider it bad business to charge the average customer for everything that goes into the making of a banner, sign or truck lettering job and making some profit on it. Just because you don't get artwork money or deposits in your business is no reason to suggest I'm ripping people off or doing bad business.

No argument there. I didn't say or insinuate every job was a total success, but then again, I'm not defending handling a business in a foolish manner, nor making false accusations at other members.

To each their own. If you wanna go on losing money here or there no matter how small the amount... be my guest, but that's no reason for me to stop what I'm doing and follow your style..... or anyone else's.
:peace!:

Last edited: