• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Banner printing L25500

GP

You would think, by now, that I would have a little more confidence walking out of the print room when running banner, but I am still getting consistent head strikes/edge curling.

We are printing on Ultraflex 13 ounce with Caldera RIP.

I am overriding the following settings in an attempt to limit these errors:
Curing temp : 100 C
Drying temp 50 C
Vacuum : 50 mmh20

Are these consistent with your settings? I know people are printing miles of material with these things, but I just can't seem to find the sweet spot on banners.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
I've printed tons of banners on my 25500 and never had any problems. I use arlon 313 banner and I use the profile for Key banner.

GP

Great - thanks. It's on the board for next time we need material.

Sadly, we are sitting on 300' of jetflex.

GP

As an aside - I have had 3 jams since I made this post 40 minutes ago.

Now, manually pulling on material to increase output tension on leading edge.

Only 48 more minutes to go on this job....

jayhawksigns

Been using Grimco Key 13oz Gloss here without any issues.

6 pass bidi
Drying - 130F
Curing - 240F
MDP - 1.2KW
Vacuum - 5.0mmH2C

dypinc

You would think, by now, that I would have a little more confidence walking out of the print room when running banner, but I am still getting consistent head strikes/edge curling.

We are printing on Ultraflex 13 ounce with Caldera RIP.

I am overriding the following settings in an attempt to limit these errors:
Curing temp : 100 C
Drying temp 50 C
Vacuum : 50 mmh20

Are these consistent with your settings? I know people are printing miles of material with these things, but I just can't seem to find the sweet spot on banners.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

I think your vacuum is set way too high and not letting the banner advance properly. It is getting stuck on the platen.

I only have the vacuum set at 5 for UltraFlex 13oz banner.

At 8 pass you should be able to set the Curing temp to 110.

the graphics co

I agree your vacuum settings are probably a big part of the issue. when the material gets warm and soft it tends to suction down to the platen and the advancing material behind it will push right over the top causing bunching and a head strike.

I had the same issue with jetflexx. Just curious, do you have reverse wound material or is the print side out on the roll? The reverse wound will not work, it curls upwards instead of down into the platen at the edges and catches the head.

jayhawksigns

I had the same issue with jetflexx. Just curious, do you have reverse wound material or is the print side out on the roll? The reverse wound will not work, it curls upwards instead of down into the platen at the edges and catches the head.

Different material, but the Key banner is reverse wound and hasn't been an issue.

GP

It's funny - we were having so many jams when we first started working with machine, the natural instinct was to push the vacuum levels. Seemed to help with the major head strikes at the end of a long run.

Reducing the vacuum setting (I am now at ten) has helped with the the edge curling and brushing of head on leading edge.

I also need to spend some time creating a quality 8 pass profile. If we go any lower than 10, the ink does not seem to cover. There are white spots from texture of banner material. Like I said, we haven't really found a sweet spot with banners, which are not the bulk of our business.

Fingers crossed.

jayhawksigns

If we go any lower than 10, the ink does not seem to cover. There are white spots from texture of banner material.

Had that problem with a couple of different banners that I tried. Most I had to run too slow for my liking to get a decent print.

GP

Had that problem with a couple of different banners that I tried. Most I had to run too slow for my liking to get a decent print.

To get a print that hits our higher-than-normal standards, I often have to print 12 pass. I realize this speed would kill most production environments, but that is for the more discriminating design clients. But, the time and money is aggravating.

After we burn through this jetflex, I will have to give Key a try.

Thank you everyone.

sowinski_t

My settings are 10pass, 115c/55c, and vacuum is at 20. Yet to have a single headstrike on banner material. throw a wooden dowel (or the pipe thing that came with your printer) where the banner curls up into the take up roll to maintain a little tension.

ProWraps

key banner is jetflexx.

we run miles of jetflexx. have never had one headstrike. we use the profile off their website, and its not molested. just stock profile.