• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Banner Scam?

Arlo Kalon 2.0

A good friend of mine in the sign business fell for this scam last year. He took an order for 20 banners for a "Good Reverend", produced the banners, deposited their cashier's check, sent the overpayment amount by Western Union to their "shipper" ($1,300), spent the rest of the money from the check, and never heard from their "shipper". About a week later his bank informed him the check was forged and he owed them around $4,000.00. He had to sell a vehicle real fast to pay his bank. I told him that was a scam routinely tried out on sign companies. He said he thought he was helping a christian orphanage.

A few years back my youngest son got an email request from me saying I needed $400 right away to pay a bill that was about to be overdue. The email said I'd be able to pay him back in a little over a week. He had just gotten a check for his student financial aid and promptly wired the money as instructed. A few days later he called me to remind me that he'd need the money back on time to pay his tuition. He told me the story and forwarded me the email. It was elaborately worded and I have to admit, it sounded just like I'd word the request. After some checking we determined the money was sent to an outlet in the Phillipines. Good haul for a scammer down there. After pointing out to my big hearted son that I'd never be in a position to ask him for money, I sent him the $400 he was scammed out of. The person who did this to him was capable of hacking my email to learn to mimic how I word things in a totally convincing way. I certainly hope karma catches up to the SOB.

3Dee

The original starting post stated an email from James B*****
Would that be Blevins?
I've received several over the years by that name and just delete without opening.

A tip that I use that works fairly well. I have a business email address that is used on search engine contact information and social links. And another / different email address that is on my business cards and documents such as invoices and quotes. This weeds out marketers and etc. from legitimate customers and business contacts. I don't rely on requests for quotes that come to the SEO email address for my business operation.