• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Banner tape not sticking

Jodee

I have tried every banner tape that I can find and none of them will keep my banners welded. I print from a Roland TruVis printer. I feel like it is the ink. I have had several Roland printers and never had this problem. Has anyone else experienced this with this printer? Or have some miracle banner tape?

bannertime

Are the banners oily? If you wipe them with a paper towel does any ink come off?

What banner material are you using and what tapes have you tried?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Lol. I was about to say, 1" print bleeds, duh, but yeah, good question!

Unless you're printing on the back side of the banner there's no reason you should be putting tape on ink. I've never had banner of any brand fail to perform, ever. Here's my method. Put the tape on the outside edge then run a squeegee over it, hard, so the texture of the banner shows in the backing of the tape. Remove the tape backing and, assuming you're right handed, start at the right end . With a brayer roller fold the banner back all the while rolling it with the brayer, hard, working from right to left. When the entire side is folded over then run over it with a squeege, again hard. Works for me.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Unless you're printing on the back side of the banner there's no reason you should be putting tape on ink. I've never had banner of any brand fail to perform, ever. Here's my method. Put the tape on the outside edge then run a squeegee over it, hard, so the texture of the banner shows in the backing of the tape. Remove the tape backing and, assuming you're right handed, start at the right end . With a brayer roller fold the banner back all the while rolling it with the brayer, hard, working from right to left. When the entire side is folded over then run over it with a squeege, again hard. Works for me.

This for me plus using a heat gun

Jamie0075

I have had that problem. Embarrassing when customer brings them back . I’ve started wiping the tape areas with alcohol. Seems to work so far..

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Are you speaking about the hemming of a banner around the very edges or attaching two halves together, in the middle ?? Sounds odd you could do it at one time , then suddenly, you lost the capability to do it any longer.

Jodee

how are you hemming that requires the tape to be placed on ink?
I am not placing the hemming tape on the ink. I leave a one inch white border around the ink border. That is where I place the banner tape, exactly how it should be. I just feel like the ink chemicals are sleeping through and releasing the adhesive. I have been in business for over 20 years. I never had this problem until I started using TruVis ink.

Jodee

Are you speaking about the hemming of a banner around the very edges or attaching two halves together, in the middle ?? Sounds odd you could do it at one time , then suddenly, you lost the capability to do it any longer.

No, just normal hemming around the white 1” edge of the banner.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you are not applying tape to ink, why/how do you think the ink has anything to do with it ??

Do you, by any chance, have some photos of the failing tape situations ?? Could be helpful

Gene@mpls

We wipe with vinegar and make sure there is a grommet on the end... even if there are no grommets on that edge.

brycesteiner

This topic has been discussed quite a few times so I bet if you search you will find some good results without waiting for them to come up on this thread.

Anyhow, I had the issue too with certain tapes. They look fine until they get outside with drastic temperature changes and you see the hem unfolding and it gets frustrating.

I found the best to be ORAFOL ORABOND 1397PP CLEAR DOUBLE SIDED POLE/SEAM TAPE

Even though it cost quite a bit more I've never had any of these come apart, unlike while using any other, especially store brand.

If you are doing a lot of banners you may consider the Leister Hemtek. It welds it permanently and saves a tremendous amount of time.

Mainframe

I had banner hem tape failures on my VP 540 until I switched to ORAFOL ORABOND 1397PP CLEAR DOUBLE SIDED POLE/SEAM TAPE, Now never a problem, I run a Truevis now and still I have no trouble with this hem tape.

Jodee

This is exactly how I do it.

Jodee

If you are not applying tape to ink, why/how do you think the ink has anything to do with it ??

Do you, by any chance, have some photos of the failing tape situations ?? Could be helpful

I have just never experienced this in all my 20 years in this business. The only thing I am doing differently is printing with the TruVis ink. I was just thinking that the ink chemicals could possibly be causing it to happen. I have no clue. I have tried cleaning the area with isopropyl first and it seems like it is going to work and then I come back half an hour later and it is completely fingering all the way around the banner.

Jodee

I had banner hem tape failures on my VP 540 until I switched to ORAFOL ORABOND 1397PP CLEAR DOUBLE SIDED POLE/SEAM TAPE, Now never a problem, I run a Truevis now and still I have no trouble with this hem tape.

I will try this tape.