• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Banner tape

Freelen

I am looking into hemming banners for the first time. Someone has recommended the heavy duty banner tape to me. These banners will be used outdoors and subject to Texas weather conditions. They plan on keeping them up for three years even though they know that banners are not recommended for that length of time. The banners are only 2'X4'. Does the tape hold up well enough for these conditions? Thanks Tami

T

TonyC

Tip...

We always hem with Oracal banner tape. One trick we learned is to heat the hem while applying a roller across it. We've not had 1 single failure since doing this.

In your case I would believe the hem tape not holding for 3 years is going to be the problem. I've never seen any banner material hold up for 3 years outside, in any conditions.

Freelen

Thanks for the tip. They use these as fund raisers and have done this in the past. I am not sure how they manage it maybe because they are up against tennis courts with wind breaks behind them.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
You might want to look at this stuff:
HH66.jpg
Depending on the material it will burn down into the scrim and kind of weld the 2 pieces together.
Weather does not bother it much (not sure about freezing temps - but works good in tropical sun and heat).

I know its good stuff, Matt Damon used it to survive on Mars - patching the air leaks in the habitat after the sand storm........

wayne k
guam usa

Gino

Premium Subscriber
For 3 years of outside durability, if you wanna do it right..... print the banners and send them to a finishing company who will sew them together with nylon webbing in the hem and gusset the corners. Also have D rings or O rings sewn into the corners. Anything less is really shoddy work.

Pat Whatley

I must be the luckiest person on the planet because I routinely have 13 oz banners last three years outdoors. I'd hem them with Oracal banner hem tape, three grommets top and bottom and send them on their way without a second thought.

If you're really worried about it hem the edges with Megatape instead of regular banner tape. It has a plastic liner between the layers of adhesive and is virtually indestructible.

Banner Ups

In reviewing the range of tape options, it’s important that you select a product based on the specifications provided by the manufacturer. For outdoor environments, wind resistance is a leading consideration. One of the top options within the marketplace is MegaTape by Banner Ups. MegaTape is designed to withstand winds up to 108MPH. The product goes through wind tunnel tests and tensile strength tests to ensure optimal performance over many years.

BannerUps offer a number of high-quality tape products for a full range of both indoor and outdoor applications. Beyond its strength in outdoor applications, the company’s MegaTape offers a much cleaner appearance and is twice as strong compared to the other double-sided banner hem tapes within the marketplace. Make sure you speak with the team at Banner Ups to choose the best available product from within their selection. To learn more about your options, contact the BannerUps team now.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I am looking into hemming banners for the first time. Someone has recommended the heavy duty banner tape to me. These banners will be used outdoors and subject to Texas weather conditions. They plan on keeping them up for three years even though they know that banners are not recommended for that length of time. The banners are only 2'X4'. Does the tape hold up well enough for these conditions? Thanks Tami

I have a super banner that doesn't need any sewing or banner tape, you just cut the banner and pop in your grommet, it will be stronger than any other 13oz banner. Its more expensive but it saves you the time of post production. We have ran it through lots of weather out there in Texas and it has been excellent!

ams

Oracal has a good tape, but I use a kind from Harborsales.net they can ship it to you. Only $18 for 72 yards or Premium $21 / 72 yards which is like super glue.

bigben

I've been using bannerups tapes for quite some time now (clear power tape). Very good products. I've tried their pole tape pro too. I have 50 4ft X 6ft pole banner installed in a city with lot of wind for almost a year now and they all still there.

unclebun

Considering how cheap an 8 sq ft banner is nowadays (what are we down to now, 63 cents a sq ft?) why do they care if it doesn't last 3 years?

ams

Considering how cheap an 8 sq ft banner is nowadays (what are we down to now, 63 cents a sq ft?) why do they care if it doesn't last 3 years?

Our cost? It's more like 17 cents for 13oz. Buying online is as low as 99 cents printed.

2B

ORAFOL ORABOND 1397PP is our preferred tape for banners

if you want long-term, a sewn hem is best

I must be the luckiest person on the planet because I routinely have 13 oz banners last three years outdoors. I'd hem them with Oracal banner hem tape, three grommets top and bottom and send them on their way without a second thought.

If you're really worried about it hem the edges with Megatape instead of regular banner tape. It has a plastic liner between the layers of adhesive and is virtually indestructible.

I completely agree. I'm in Illinois with temperatures ranging from 0-90 F on average, and we have 13 oz. banners lasting easily over 3 years as long as they are mounted to a flat surface. If you're flying them in the wind between two posts, you're lucky to get 3 months out of them, but that pretty much goes without saying. We have a 30' x 9' south-facing banner on our building mounted in a ClipsIn frame and it's officially been up 4 years now. The surface is finally starting to crack a bit, but that's mostly on the unprinted areas and where the sun is focused on it. The top two or three feet is shaded under the eaves and it pretty much looks like brand new still.

As far as hem tape, we use Grimco's top selling hem tape with no problems.

OOPS! I just realized the original post was from 2015.

Last edited: