• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Banner Tape

cr.designs

For those of you using banner tape to hem all 4 sides of a banner, are you using the single sided or double sided tape. I've been using the double sided tape and folding the material over on all 4 sides, but on long banners you get really bad wrinkles when you roll it back out. Do most people use the single sided tape with no fold?

Tim Aucoin

I use double sided tape. I trim the banner with 1 inch "white space" and apply the tape 1" in from the outside of the edges. Then fold the banner over onto the tape to form a perfect, straight edge with bleed (if necessary). On a long banner, I simply do it in sections and have no problems with wrinkles.

I do have a pictorial tutorial of how I hem my banners if you are at all interested in checking it out...

http://gallery.me.com/timaucoin#100337

cr.designs

Yeah, thats pretty much what I do too. Once I'm finished with the banner though, I roll it up and tape it. When you roll the banner back out, I always have creases where the hems are.

GB2

Old Member
Those creases are just the result of tunneling from the rolling of the banner and will diminish when the banner is un-rolled for a little while. It's just the nature of the product and isn't really an issue. Try not to roll the banners tightly.

Tim Aucoin

Tim,
Thanks for the pictures. What is your preferred brand of tape?

I use a 3M product. Not sure of the exact item. I can find out if you like. I've tried generic brands, but I find it's a fussy beast depending on the brand of banner used.

jgolo

T3, Nice pictures. I used to measure like that also and then I decided to print the "cut line" just to make it quicker, no measuring now.
Then I apply the tape to the edge of the banner and fold it over to the bleed. I also print a mark every 24" for the grommets.

You can also add some type in the hem area, just rotate it upside down ( I put my co name and number) and once the banner is finished, your name and number will be right side up and your name out there.

ProWraps

we use the oracal tape. and we use a brayer to press down the tape before we remove the backer, then to press down the fold. works great!

Tim Aucoin

T3, Nice pictures. I used to measure like that also and then I decided to print the "cut line" just to make it quicker, no measuring now.
Then I apply the tape to the edge of the banner and fold it over to the bleed. I also print a mark every 24" for the grommets.

You can also add some type in the hem area, just rotate it upside down ( I put my co name and number) and once the banner is finished, your name and number will be right side up and your name out there.

I like your ideas!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

gnatt66

i use powertape (single sided). seems to tunnel less and the finished product looks better to me with no fold.

Graphics2u

i use powertape (single sided). seems to tunnel less and the finished product looks better to me with no fold.
I've got a sample of that coming since Fellers quit sewing at the location near me. Do you have any problems with the edge fraying?

GB2

Old Member
Just to note...that Power Edge single sided banner tape is 2-3 times the cost of regular banner tape.

Mosh

Before we got our sewing machine we used orabond tape with great results. NOTHING beats sewing the hem!!!!! Customers notice stuff like that!