• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

banners behind planes

Johnny Best

The ones I have seen are polynylon banner with pole pocket in front to attach metal pole to keep unfurled. Vinyl would rip apart and be to heavy. They are not big planes.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I, because I wouldn't know, googled. Definitely don't want to use vinyl. Seems like a special niche, and unless you want set yourself up (and have the requests) to make it your niche... Seems pretty expensive as a One off.

Last edited:

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Gino is correct (give that man a cigar)... Rip stop nylon with nylon webbing sewn in, and sewn in rings for attaching sections and cables.

Planes don't take off with them attached, they add too much weight and drag for takeoff, so they use a hook on the plane that grabs the leash from between poles on takeoff. They're actually a lot larger and heavier than they look, because of the viewing distance they have to be large, 8-15 feet tall and 20+ feet long is kind of a smallish one. There is no industry standard for anything because of all the different configurations, every one you do is custom tailored to the company that flies them. So Boudica is right too, it's a very niche/ specialized market. All kinds of winners today!

Do lots of research if you're thinking about entering that arena. I only know this much because one of my ex employers looked into this market thinking it would be a low investment high yield return, lol... Nope! There's a lot more to it than printing a big banner. Also learned how many banner planes have failures, so there's a substantial level of liability. If a banner comes loose it's gotta land somewhere, on something, or on someone, and if you made it.... I think some of us here know what kind of damage & injuries even something like a street banner is capable of if it comes down, these fall from a lot higher, are much larger, and heavier. That alone was enough for him to quit looking into it any further.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
The back story:
We always get the oddball customer requests. I'm sure you guys do too.
This guy came in and said that his banners were falling apart behind his plane. He wanted to know if we could sell him these banners in big sizes. I immediately knew I could get these big banners from b2signs or firesprint. He added the caveat of advertising for us on the back of his plane. And that's when we checked out.
Turns out, he came in a year ago doing the same thing. I didn't know this because my boyfriend spoke to him last year.

As soon as I DIDN'T BITE on the advertising on the back of the plane, he began looking at his watch and hurried out of the door.

In the process, I learned a lot from you guys.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
same guy came in yesterday asking why we hadn't printed the 4 (qty) 4" stickers that he didn't pay for and we didn't even mock anything up for him. He threw a tantrum and said he never pays for anything ahead of time.
He left angry. hope he doesn't come back.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
same guy came in yesterday asking why we hadn't printed the 4 (qty) 4" stickers that he didn't pay for and we didn't even mock anything up for him. He threw a tantrum and said he never pays for anything ahead of time.
He left angry. hope he doesn't come back.
bugs-bunny-maroon.jpg