• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Banners printing S•L•O•W

Tim Aucoin

:help
Okay, so I'm running a dozen banners on 16oz Gloss Scrim banner. They're 3' x 12'. I was supplied PDF files (1.2mb per file) and am dragging them into VersaWorks for printing. I don't have a specific profile for the scrim I'm running (BannerBrite 2), and am using a generic profile. Color looks great when it prints, but it's taking 2 hours per banner?? I'm running the Roland SP 540v. I'm running High Speed quality. Is this normal speed for this or am I missing a way to speed up printing? Oh, yeah... the graphic on the banner is full color images with text.
Any help/advice would be appreciated!

ChiknNutz

YIKES! That is excrutiating! On 95% of what we print I yield 64 SFPH, which is at 720x720x8-pass mode. I don't use VW, but Wasatch SoftRip and create my own profiles. I have made a 4-pass banner profile that yields approx. 165 SFPH, but it doesn't produce a deeply saturated print, but can be used on a lot of jobs. Based on what you are printing and the time taken, you are yielding only 18 SFPH. That is way too slow for most any banner jobs.

ericmitchell29

yes try a different profile. There is one banner setting that even at high speed runs really slow in versaworks. I'm not sure what the issue is with it but I have clicked on it before.

I also powered my 540 down and then restarted with a different profile. I'm assuming it was the profile that was the difference and not restarting the machine. Try both if one doesn't work for you.

Eric

Tim Aucoin

I'm trying GVCP right now.... then I'll try SPVCB if I see no improvement in speed. Thanks for all the tips guys! I'll let you know tomorrow how it all works out. I am running bi-directional. everything seems to be set... it has to be the profile!
:thankyou:

biggieg

I ran a 4' x 16' banner a few weeks ago and it took less than an hour to print using Versaworks and the SP540.

Replicator

Try converting the PDF files to some other format . . . Like maybe the formats you usually print . . . Just Sayin' !

Tim Aucoin

Try converting the PDF files to some other format . . . Like maybe the formats you usually print . . . Just Sayin' !

:thankyou:
Thanks Rep... I opened the PDF and saved it as EPS... this seems to have increased the printing speed somewhat. I should be able to get the balance completed today!

And thank you John for your help yesterday... that was above and beyond! One thing... I couldn't find anywhere in the SP 540v menu structure to turn off "periodic cleaning". At least there's nothing with that specific name. Maybe this is a feature in the newer VP model??

Thanks everyone for your input. I just took another order yesterday for 7 more good sized banners for an upcoming home show. The higher speed will definitely help this go smoother! :Big Laugh