• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Banners

Dwelltime

I don't see any threads here about banners. I'm sure almost all of you produce banners. Are these considered signs in the sign world?

My main question here is if anyone sews their own seams. I'm trying to get information about what kind of sewing machine and what kind of thread to use for sewing banners.

We buy our vinyl on rolls (just like for digitally printing banners) and I'm kind of stuck when it comes to outsourcing the sewing. I'd much rather do it in house.

Any ideas out there?:thankyou:

JMDigital

You could use Banner Tape, I have read some posts here about that. Do a search here for Banner Tape. I am shure someone will reply with details.

WVB

This question has been asked as well in past. Do a search for sewing and you get all the threads for just this.

THATgirl

I get the big rolls of pre hemmed banner material in 36 in and 24 in from Fellers. Then I just add my own grommets.

mystysue

For banners that we do vinyl on we get quick blanks from super sign mart.
http://www.sign-mart.com. They are really good quality with nice hems. Its not worth my time to do do the hemming myself at this time.

With our digital printed banners we have been using banner tape then applying the grommets. Its a relatively easy process... and they look good.. ..

MAB SIGNS

He wants to sew his own otherwise he'd probably use Fellers in Dallas. I would ask suppliers about sewing machine models especially those suppliers who offer the material but not the custom banner service.

MAB SIGNS

Dwelltime go to www.signsearch.com click on equipment and supplies, then click search for wholesale, then click sign fabrication equipment sub category sewing equipment and you'll get info on several manufacturers of sewing machines. I'm sure they can also tell you what thread to use.

Dwelltime

Thanks for all the info. We get our hems sewn because our customers specify hemmed banners. When we screen print banners, we need flat stock and can't screen print over a hem or grommet. Also, many banners that we print are full bleed, reversed out, so they can only be sewn afterwards.

Nice tip about Fellers. We didn't realize that they performed this service.

I have a competitor who uses a sonic welder for hemming banners. I've seen their machine, but not in operation.

The main reason we want to sew in house is to control our delivery dates. Whenever we use an outside source, we're at their mercy in terms of delivery, and this is one area in which we have not had very good luck in terms of delivery.

Dwelltime

Thanks for all the info. We get our hems sewn because our customers specify hemmed banners. When we screen print banners, we need flat stock and can't screen print over a hem or grommet. Also, many banners that we print are full bleed, reversed out, so they can only be sewn afterwards.

Nice tip about Fellers. We didn't realize that they performed this service.

I have a competitor who uses a sonic welder for hemming banners. I've seen their machine, but not in operation.

The main reason we want to sew in house is to control our delivery dates. Whenever we use an outside source, we're at their mercy in terms of delivery, and this is one area in which we have not had very good luck in terms of delivery.

mystysue

designsbymtm said:
sign-mart is good.. how has gene been doing?

I donno gene.. we always deal with one person there "Sheldon" He takes really good care of us.. and then our deliver is JOhn.. Hes great He lets us know.. what is happening at the other shops in the area.. ..rof..

Dwelltime.... The problem we had when we out souced the banners to be sewn was both deliever time and the quality of the hem stitching seem to be falling off..
I agree the best way to have controll is to do the process yourself

mtmdesigns

gene sobel is the owner, our company recently got into a financial battle with him. My boss seems to burn many good bridges. For 10 years sign-mart was great for subbing out.

Flame

I use double sided banner tape myself. There's this one shop by me though that has a trick unit for sewing banners. They won't really clue me in as to what it is or where they got it (figures). But basically it's a smallish unit that looks like a 14" stapler. They just run it down the banner and I was shocked to see how fast and well it hems them.

Maybe it's one of those little units like you used to see in the infomercials? I don't know. I just know it's trick and I wouldn't mind finding one.

mark in tx

I send mine out for sewing with Royal Banner, oops, now Sign Supply USA.
Usual turn-around in 2 business days. Never had any problems with their quality or service.

Cadmn

Dick in traders village they'res a commercial sewing machine sales place & I bet you could get ya a double needled machine from them. My granpa Made mop heads for Janitorial Mops & I ran a double needled (antique) singer machine you might pick one of those up if you could find one they would make quick work of a banner. never dealt with Royal or sign supply fellers might be able to sew If you ask the man at the arlington warehouse & deal cash.hope this helps I would think any double needle machine would work. Upholstery shop canvas supply Just Ideas

cOrKinSA

I used to work for a guy many years back that would cut 4 inch scrape banner in squares and PVC Glue them to the area that he was going to grommet. worked real good and you couldn't tell a sewn one from a patched one.

signmeup

Flame Master said:
I use double sided banner tape myself. There's this one shop by me though that has a trick unit for sewing banners. They won't really clue me in as to what it is or where they got it (figures). But basically it's a smallish unit that looks like a 14" stapler. They just run it down the banner and I was shocked to see how fast and well it hems them.

Maybe it's one of those little units like you used to see in the infomercials? I don't know. I just know it's trick and I wouldn't mind finding one.
I wonder if this was one of those machines for sewing feed bags shut.

Adrian

Checkers

I've sewn a few banners and Cadmn is pointing you in the right direction.
The double needle that sews a "lock stitch" is better than a chain stitch, which can pull out. Also, look for one that has a modified foot that will fold over the hem for you.
Here's a link...
http://www.kaplansewingmachine.com/id18.htm
I've seen the RF welders, and they do have a purpose. However, they can change the finish of the media that you're welding. So, if you print on satin or matte media and weld a seam, the weld will have a gloss finish.

Checkers