Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bare Drives... the new floppy

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by weaselboogie, Jan 28, 2009.

1. weaselboogie

weaselboogie Very Active Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Us
    Neat-o! ...............

"If you've upgraded the hard drive in your laptop or desktop machine, then you've got a naked, homeless hard drive sitting around in one of your drawers. Put that puppy to use by plugging it into ThinkGeek's External USB SATA Drive Dock and boom, you've got extra storage without the enclosure.
    A professional photographer buddy of ours (who requires massive amounts of storage) uses the Drive Dock the way we used to use floppy drives: He's got dozens of hard drives lying around, and he plugs them into the dock as needed.
    At $39.99, buying a Drive Dock (and naked hard drives to go into it) is way cheaper than going the conventional enclosure-bound route, and it takes up less space on your desk."

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. animenick65

animenick65 Very Active Member

May 18, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I have one myself. I love the damn thing. With hard drives being so cheap this thing is a dream. Can hot swap any drive and put it into storage.

3. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Just Me

Jun 8, 2005
    Sunny Florida
    Thank you thank you thank you for posting... I have 4 old drives I just haven't had the time to get stuff off yet... this will be great.

4. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Major Contributor

Aug 28, 2007
    Indiana
    Oh wow, yea, if for nothin' else, that's great for when you have a computer die, and you need to just pull the files over, it's normally a PITB rippin' your computer open and hooking it up, then you are like me, and get the ribbon confused. Thanks!

5. TheSnowman

Aug 28, 2007
    Indiana
  6. Rick

Rick Certified Enneadecagon Designer

Apr 17, 2003
    Valle Vista
    This is not as pretty, but worked for me when I needed to get into my old drives.

I feel a little uneasy using a 5-15 year old drive as an extra drive but worked when my old PowerMac died.

7. Rick

Rick Certified Enneadecagon Designer

Apr 17, 2003
    Valle Vista
  8. TheSnowman

Aug 28, 2007
    Indiana
    Heck, I'll just buy a new drive and use it. Internals are a lot cheaper.

9. slipperyfrog

slipperyfrog Active Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Las Vegas
    I have dreaded going through old hard drives and wiping them clean before getting rid of them.

Just the cheap, easy thing I needed.

10. Border

Border Very Active Member

Feb 8, 2007
    Minnesota
    That puppy will work great for all my recording session files. I have lots of hard drives full of archived stuff that I don't need to use very often, but when I do, I have to remove some other hard drive in my systems to make room. I really like the hot-swap part, thanks!

11. TheSnowman

Aug 28, 2007
    Indiana
    Yea, Microbarn was about $7 cheaper, for those who care. At least for me it was, not sure how shipping is for everyone else.

12. Border

Border Very Active Member

Feb 8, 2007
    Minnesota
    Microbarn says "Out of stock".

13. Replicator

Replicator Major Contributor

Nov 19, 2006
    Sun City, AZ
  14. Sabre

Sabre Member

Sep 13, 2005
    I have 3 of these scattered through some of my computers. Same idea as the original post, but keeps another part off my already cluttered desk. This particular one does not use usb at all, although they might make a variant that does.
    Startech Hotswap Bay

Although handy, I wouldn't say they are what eliminated the need for the floppy. The flash drive on the other hand...
    :)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  15. OldPaint

OldPaint Major Contributor

HEY...PAY ATTENTION....this is a docking station for an INTERNAL HARD DRIVE!!!!!!!!!
    and you say it is HOT SWAPPABLE? and i like it having the drive EXPOSED, has better cooling then having the drive in a another case.......

16. jiarby

jiarby Major Contributor

Feb 11, 2007
    Remember that xfering loads of data through that teensie USB port is gonna take forever compared to one actually attached to the SATA or IDE bus.

The white one cute but we use a kit that works with IDE or SATA to USB2 for this kind of thing. I use removable drive caddys (one is IDE, one is SATA) that connect directly to the internal bus for removable backups.

Attached Files:

17. Alphonse43

Alphonse43 Member

May 8, 2008
    I've been using a "Welland" Sata HDD Docking unit for quite a while now, I received this little baby for Christmas.
    http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=475
    I find this is a much better system by far, it's very quite running, runs cool, and the best feature of all: It's totally portable.
    Alphonse43

18. SignBurst PCs

SignBurst PCs Very Active Member

Use eSATA if your computer has it... much faster than USB (like Jiarby said).

19. jiarby

jiarby Major Contributor

Feb 11, 2007
    Alphonse...

I have never had an external drive enclosure that did not fail. Either the P/S goes out or the drive overheats. I am not a fan of portable external HDD enclosures...they are ticking time bombs waiting to blow up your data.

20. TheSnowman

Aug 28, 2007
    Indiana
    Hey OP, I was payin' attention, I think it's you that is a little lost. I said...
    I meant, instead of buying an external HD for my computer (in my head I'm talking about my laptop) I'll just buy an INTERNAL HARD DRIVE, and fit it so that it works like an EXTERNAL, and it will be WAY CHEAPER than buying one that's enclosed. Since it won't be moving, it'll work. Hopefully that cleared you up.