• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Basic Contract for subcontractors

Jean Shimp

We use subs for some sign installations. We get a copy of their liability insurance and Work Comp. I would like to have some sort of "contract" that covers us from certain liabilities, namely lawsuits. I've had a blanket contract drawn up in the past by a lawyer but it seemed like overkill. Is there such a thing as a "simple" contract the basically holds us harmless from a sub's negligence. The jobs are typically less than $10k.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you spec out to them, exactly how you want it furnished, what could go wrong ??

If someone wrote to me, you did this wrong and I showed them I followed their instructions and followed codes, why would you NOT be at least partly liable ??

Seeing something like that would turn me away from your job, unless I'm reading your request wrong

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
They have to add you to their insurance and you get a copy of it. Isn't that was covers you when a lawsuit is filed? My insurance company says if I'm engaged in hiring subs that I need to get them to provide those COI

netsol

my attorney and insurance broker always suggest a specific policy/coverage in case a sub misrepresents or allows his coverage to lapse.

4 or 5 years ago, a lawyer friend was going after a roofer. his subcontractor allowed his policies to lapse snd one of his subs, who had no insurance of his own fell off a roof and was paralyzed

visual800

never worried about subs i just always carried the insurance thru mine. Just didnt wanna bother with anymore red tape. Its hard enought these days to get damn jobs without filling out 3 booklets!

unclebun

They have to add you to their insurance and you get a copy of it. Isn't that was covers you when a lawsuit is filed? My insurance company says if I'm engaged in hiring subs that I need to get them to provide those COI
The only reason your insurer says you should get the COIs is that if you don't they will retroactively up your premium to cover the sub--at the entire cost the sub charged you.