• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Basic Pricing for Vinyl Decal

PiizzLe

New to the Vinyl Game. Can anyone help me with basic pricing for both Cut Decals and Printed ones as well.

Thanks a lot.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Like so many others, you have far too many variables to jut ask an open-ended question like that.

For the die-cut....... size will matter, number of each design, complexity, crazy colors vs. stock colors, weeded and taped or for your own application and the list can go from there. For the printed the kinda of printer along with the cost of the materials you're putting through it and then if they're being laminated, cut and if it's a nerve-wracking contour-cut and again how many of each.

You can be anywhere from 15¢ each to $450.00 each.

:Oops:.... then there's the whole other side of it..... your overhead, insurances, licenses, employee payroll and other incidentals which all go [or should go] into each and every job/project that goes out your door. Someone has to pay for those things and if you don't have the overhead or payroll, just get whatever you wanna get and be done with it.

rdm01

(Materials + Labor)*Mark-Up = Selling Price

You should have a shop rate for labor, somewhere between $30-$100 depending on overhead, market price for your geographical location. If that is the case than you would just have:

Materials*Mark-Up + Time*Shop Rate = Selling Price

Might want to get a good calculator, and perhaps the Sign Pricing Guide from SignCraft magazine for a reference tool.

None of the above should be news when it comes to business. Being new to vinyl doesn't mean anything when it comes to cost, markup, labor rates, etc.

PiizzLe

I understand that a lot of things come into play but for example when we print shirts we have a 12 shirt minimum order plus screen set fee.

Do some of you require a minimum order so that your price is set to a certain amount?

JMPrinting

If I have a design on file, I will throw it in an order minimum of $10.00 for a small decal, single color. If they want it right away, $10.00 more.

If I have to design it I charge $60 per hour. I have no minimum but under an hour I charge $1.00 per minute, that includes design, cut, tape ect.

So,

5x5 sticker of design $10.00
same sticker rush $20.00
1/2 hour design and sticker $40.00
1/2 hour design, sticker and rush $50-60.00

:) don't work for free

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's entirely up to you how u want to set your company policy.

We have a shop minimum of $165. I was gonna make it higher, but haven't done it yet. This discourages unwanted nosy tire kickers.

People will say I need 2 or 3 of this and I'll tell them I can do this many for $165. or the amount you want. Your call. You can always waive your minimum if you want a particular job.

As for set up fees for die-cutting or printing, it goes hand-in-hand with your minimum.

You have too many variables to come up with some concrete formula. There are formulas which will tell you what you need to get, but it's up to you what direction your business will take and setting those polices up now can easily influence that direction.

Your target audience will help figure this out also.

JMPrinting

Agree,

If you are selling to Joe at the flea market where you are set up, your call. What does it cost you to operate. Some people have overhead of $500 or less a month and some have $10,000

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Fred has a beautiful thread going somewhere and it outlines just about every detail you can think of for selling anything in business, particularly this business. Perhaps, someone can point you in the right direction or he can chime in and tell you about it. At this point, it's probably overkill for what you're doing, but it's always better to have your model and business plan down pat, before you start out with lotsa faulty areas that need to be changed later.