• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

battery powered plotter??

amw

Longtime Members
What size UPS (APC) would you need to put on a FC8000-130 for it to be able to run for a 1/2 hour or so?

I seached but couldnt realy find the info.

Thanks for any help.

Marsha

tcorn1965

What size UPS (APC) would you need to put on a FC8000-130 for it to be able to run for a 1/2 hour or so?

I seached but couldnt realy find the info.

Thanks for any help.

Marsha

Marsha,
Unfortunately battery backups are designed to allow you to shut off you equipment safely when the power goes out, or keep them up if it is a very short power outage. Here is a link to select the correct one for FC8000
http://www.apc.com/tools/ups_selector/

In order to run for a half hour it would literally cost you thousands of dollars to get a battery backup robust enough to allow you to work a 1/2 hr without power.
A generator might be more of a solution for you.

Terry

jiarby

You have to know how much juice the thing draws..... Get a "Kill-A-Watt" meter and plug your plotter into it. Then you can see what it draws so you can match it up with the right sized battery using the APC link above

Besides... in the event of a power outage you are going to have lots of other devices to protect than the plotter.
Lights, Computer, Monitor, Ethernet Switch, Router, Cable Modem, printer(s), Cordless Phones, etc...

For me, I use 4-5 of the 750's that SARex posted... one for each PC (Design, RIP, Accounting, Sublimation, LaserEngraver), and one for the Mutoh.

The Mutoh has 3 plugs, two for heaters and one for the printer. The heaters pop the breakers on the 750VA UPS so I just protect the printer itself. The heaters get regular old city electricity.

My disaster scenario is to protect things long enough to finish whatever job is running, save my open files, and get things shut down. To stay up & running longer than 10minutes we'd have to add a generator and a transfer switch. Many K's of money!

Last edited:

amw

Longtime Members
A 1/2 hour was just a guess...just want to let it finish cutting then shut it off. Or if it only goes out for a min our two, it keeps going so we dont waste the vinyl.

We use APC Back-UPS XS 1500 LCD on our pc's. (gives us about 25-35 mins depending on which pc/etc)
We also have a 8000 watt portable generator, but that wont help the job on the plotter when the power goes out.

Just trying to figure if one of these would be ok, or not "big" enough for the plotter.

We have everything on UPS's except the printers and plotters.

Thanks!
Marsha

J Hill Designs

maybe have a UPS that runs long enough you can change power over from supply to generator? (don't know how you would do it, just a thought)

tcorn1965

A 1/2 hour was just a guess...just want to let it finish cutting then shut it off. Or if it only goes out for a min our two, it keeps going so we dont waste the vinyl.

We use APC Back-UPS XS 1500 LCD on our pc's. (gives us about 25-35 mins depending on which pc/etc)
We also have a 8000 watt portable generator, but that wont help the job on the plotter when the power goes out.

Just trying to figure if one of these would be ok, or not "big" enough for the plotter.

We have everything on UPS's except the printers and plotters.

Thanks!
Marsha

The FC8000 power consumption is 160 VA max. Your APC 1500 will give you about 30 min no load. If I had to guess if the 8000 was running when power went out you probably have about 12-13 minutes to finish the job then shut down (IMO). So I would say that would work for you!
Terry

amw

Longtime Members
Thank you!
We will get another one to put on the plotter.

Hopefully this wont be needed much (we have had a lot of power outages last year).

signage

If the UPS will run the plotter for a short amount of time, and if this time is long enough to get the generator running all you would need to do is unplug the UPS and plug it into the generator and it will supply the plotter! To calculate how much wattage you need to run your plotter you need to know what the VAh (volt*amp - hour) ratting is! 1500 VA is 1500 watts that does not tell you how long it will supply the 1500VA!

G-Artist

I live in the Lightning Capital of North America and let me tell you that all my computers and the plotter (plus the phones) are on a UPS. I don't really care all that much about an outage but you really need something to condition the juice in this geographic area. Spikes and surges as well as brownouts can harm if not kill your stuff.

A good UPS is by and far the cheapest insurance investment you'll ever make.

I have lost a TV and a fridge, but never any valuable electronics.

There are commercial sized UPS's and they are a bit pricey. Many years ago we got a cast off (freebie) from a local hospital which was upgrading. That unit was about the size of a 2-drawer filing cabinet and heavy as all get out. But it ran 8 computers and 5 monitors for over 3 hours for us once during a power outage.

rm25x

Hmm good idea, never thought about that for my equipment.
At first when I read the title, I thought it was so you could cut mobile lol.

G-Artist

@rm25x

There is a guy in my area that does do on-site vinyl cutting. I have seen his rig in various parking lots. He has a box type truck with a gas generator attached to the back. Never saw the inside. I'd think that the heat inside a box truck would raise hell with vinyl in short order unless he AC's the entire rig.

i have two clients that have converted old box style ambulances into mobile sign shops both of them have banks of golf cart batteries and i have been on site with one of them on a working project where they were running twp computers, plotter and printer, illuminated work table, a/c , shop radio, etc...i know both of these guys have invested top dollar into their mobile work shops.

i don;t know how to go about figuring out what your electrical needs are but i have seen many threads about other sign people creating either dedicated battery systems or battery back up systems to operate their equipment. so i would search the various sign sites and see what you can turn up because it has been discussed in depth by multiple ppl who have successfully been through it.

round man

let me get this right,...you want a unit to save the cost of $40 worth of vinyl thats gonna cost you $200+,...?????

amw

Longtime Members
let me get this right,...you want a unit to save the cost of $40 worth of vinyl thats gonna cost you $200+,...?????

Sorry for the late reply.

No...Not $40 worth.

When we do reflective (which is a lot) it is much more then $40 we are wasting. Also when contour cutting things. Besides time wasted.

Marsha

CheapVehicleWrap

I would think you'd want it on your printer minus the heaters more than the plotter. Does your plotter often run for 1/2 hour? I have my printer on a pretty big UPS in case of blips. I just inherited a very modern VERY expensive unit. It was used on a bank of servers. 240v, several BIG boxes and about 15 "car type batteries". VERY heavy duty stuff and it was all running when removed. Gotta lug it all upstairs soon. Our industrial park is going all solar shortly too.

Sublimefly

Ok I didn't read all the replies here but I do know we have battery backups on all our systems as well as our printer and plotter. Our printer and plotter both have Cyberpower 1500AVR's on them and we had no problem continuing to print til the power came back on. I hadn't installed them with plans to print through a power lose but it worked out that way. We got them very cheap from Staples during a big sale last year. They have now saved our butts at least 4 times since then and saved us at the very least their own values in un-wasted material.

Sublimefly

Also all our Cyberpower units give us up to date readings on how long they can run for without power and keep very good records of all power loses and surges.