• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Be careful! HP Latex firmware update

bechet

I'm so angry that I'm staying still, so I'm uploading my HP experience. I have been using HP printers since 2001. Designjet 5000, 9000S, 10000S, L850, FB500, FB700, L360 and L570.
Business hasn't been going well recently, so I'm only using the L570. A while ago my L570 suddenly started printing strange colors. All printheads and maintenance cartridges have been replaced. But the color did not return. I had no choice but to print with the L360 printer I was using as an second printer. But maybe because it hasn't been used for a long time, there's a lot of lines. I moved the printheads from the L570. I tried printing again and the colors weren't as good, so I upgraded the firmware to the latest version. The nightmare has begun. After the firmware update, all printheads died. All were new, used less than 50ml ink. I tried moving back to the L570, but there was still no response... I lost 8 printheads in one day. I called the supplier and they tell me to call HP. I filed a case with HP and waited.
An email has arrived. They say they can't replace it because the printheads are damaged due to using out-of-date ink. OMG... I have been using various types of HP printers for over 20 years and printhead has never suffered damage due to expired ink.
I applied for warranty for the first time in 20 years but HP lied because they didn't want to replace just 8 printheads.
Now, whenever I see an HP printer, I get so angry that I can't stand it.
I received a quote for an Epson R5070 today. Of course, Epson will do the same, but HP is very disappointing at the moment. Anyway, if you want to upgrade the firmware, be careful.

victor bogdanov

I received a quote for an Epson R5070 today. Of course, Epson will do the same, but HP is very disappointing at the moment. Anyway, if you want to upgrade the firmware, be careful.
get epson solvent, resin kind of a gimmik IMO . no advantage over solvent just more heat. I own an R5070 and see 0 advantage over solvent, only negatives related to the heat needed to evaporate water

ikarasu

How old was the ink in your L360?

I dont know how long the ink lasts past the expiration date.... But if your printer was sitting there for a really long time, the ink could have theoretically clogged your nozzles... It's why using aftermarket ink, and expired ink is a risk.... You're printing out of thousands of jets that are smaller than needles... so if the ink is old and clumpy, or has any contaminants in it... it could cause the heads to die easily - So I get why HP wont warranty them.

Love the resin, and hate solvents! Just for the smells and the way the media gets gummy alone.

I had to print a 4x8 piece of coro on our solvent as our flatbed was busy yesterday... Trying to mount it with our laminating table was a huuuge pain in the ass. If it were laminated and thicker, it'd be ok - but just using calandered vinyl, it felt so gummy - I did mount it 5 mins after it came off the printer.... Figured I wasn't laminating it, so didnt need to let it offgass. Exact same vinyl on the resin or latex printer is nice and stiff and not gummy.

I keep wanting to goto a solvent because of some odd issues.... but then I use my works solvent and decide the small pains are worth it :roflmao: Maybe I'll go back on epsons next solvent if it adds anything cool... but right now I still feel like Colorado >Epson Resin > Epson Solvent, in that order!

cornholio

This isn't HP's fault. Using expired inks is at your own risk. They even let you do it... don't cry.
Mimaki stops working with expired inks for example.
I had to replace many printheads on Roland UV printers because of expired inks. (One head is about the price of a complete set of HP heads)
People often want the cheapest ink in 3-5-10 litre packages, but if they don't use it in time, it can have strange effects.(color shifts are the smallest problems)

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Haha abuse the rules and then complain. They very clearly state you can't use expired ink or warranty is out of the window. And the times I have done it, it will always display a warning that you are using expired ink, are you sure you want to insert these new printheads?
50ml use just means the ink from your cartridge only just arrived to the nozzles. Simply sounds like you had bad old ink.
570 is especially bad about it because people don't tend to shake the intermediate tanks ever but it really should be done couple times a year if not monthly on low usage units.

bechet

I agree that old ink can ruin the print head. However, all these incidents occurred at once after the firmware update. Occasionally I would use older ink, but it rarely caused any problems.
And another interesting thing is that after I replaced all the new printheads on the L360, printing started working again as if nothing had happened. Even though I didn't change the ink... I'm pretty sure HP is lying.
Anyway, due to my ignorance, I lost $1200 in one go... If you don't use the printer often, be careful not to end up like me.

Last edited: