• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bearing Block XC540

Ultraman

Ultraman
Hi All,
This is something I have not done before but I know sooner or later I will need to do it. I think I will need to replace a bearing block on Xc540, I do have pictures on how to replace it which I saw it in Sign- In -China but still not sure how you dismantled the print carriage out totally, any help or pictures. Thanks for sharing.

crny1

Do you have the service manual for it. Pretty sure it shows how to disassemble about every thing on the machine.

Ultraman

Ultraman
Do you have the service manual for it. Pretty sure it shows how to disassemble about every thing on the machine.

Thanks for this discussion, I do have the service manual but nothing on block bearing replacement. When I remove the print carriage, I know we need to remove the damper lines but what about the six print head on XC-540?

Phenson

I have done this on an old CJ 500 and looking like I might have to do the same on my Sp 540 V. For the CJ I bought just the bearing blocks directly from THK, Installed them and the machine worked fine for a few more years until it died of other causes. I would try not to disconnect the ink lines, could you tie the head assembly out of the way?

hybriddesign

owner Hybrid Design
I took the heads out and slid the carriage off the left end of the linear rail. I think there are some preloaded spring attachments on the back of the carriage which were tricky to deal with but it's all doable. I don't think any of that is it the service manual. I might have an extra bearing block or two. We just retired our xc540 a couple weeks ago and I think we had brand new spare linear bearings since they are so hard to get. Will be selling all the parts from our xc540 as well

FrankW

Have been a service technician for roland for years, and have never replaced the linear bearing where the carriage slides on, never had a worn bearing. If the sound of the movement of the carriage gets louder and louder, it is more likely the scan motor.

Ultraman

Ultraman
Have been a service technician for roland for years, and have never replaced the linear bearing where the carriage slides on, never had a worn bearing. If the sound of the movement of the carriage gets louder and louder, it is more likely the scan motor.

Hey! Frank nice talking to you again. Yeah one customer is having 0010 scan motor error and the other having loud banging noise during the print carriage head travels mid-point solution, I tighten the belt and no more sound of music...lol

E Coloney

FrankW, Do you recall how to get the time on the scan motor on XC-540?
Edit: Disregard getting the time on the motor(s) = I found that. I'm amazed at how LITTLE time shows for the amount I've used the machine. Is there some unusual way that it is calculated?

Last edited:

Ultraman

Ultraman
FrankW, Do you recall how to get the time on the scan motor on XC-540?
Edit: Disregard getting the time on the motor(s) = I found that. I'm amazed at how LITTLE time shows for the amount I've used the machine. Is there some unusual way that it is calculated?

You can print out History report, it will show you scan motor hours and once you install a new motor in, then go motor group to clear if that's what you need to know

E Coloney

Friends, my scan motor seems even noisier and I have bought a replacement. It seems easy enough to replace but I wonder what must be done/adjusted/etc. after replacement beyond resetting scan motor hours?

Joe House

The spring should put the right amount of pressure on the gears. Snug up the screws, but not tight. Just run it back and forth by hand before tightening the screws to make sure that the gears mesh properly before you tighten the screws. Then put a small amount of grease on the gears and wipe most of it off. Run it by hand again to distribute the grease and again wipe most of it off - excess grease will just fly around in there and that's not good.

Good Luck

Ultraman

Ultraman
Friends, my scan motor seems even noisier and I have bought a replacement. It seems easy enough to replace but I wonder what must be done/adjusted/etc. after replacement beyond resetting scan motor hours?

One thing about replacing Scan Motor is that you do not need to do anything, make sure your 0010, 0080 and 0090 code as well as the noise goes away. You need to be in service mode to do Motor - Aging - Scan to see if the print carriage runs smoothly and see if the belt is loose or tight. If all good, don't forget to oil rail.

Ultraman

Ultraman
Many thanks. Changed scan motor but still have some noise. Apparently it is something else being noisy.

Your belt need to tighten, apply some grease on gear and check all screws are tighten properly on scan motor bracket. Oil your rail and check the cut carriage for smooth movement and tighten any lose screws. Good luck