Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

beef jerkey

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by shakey0818, Nov 23, 2010.

1. shakey0818

shakey0818 Active Member

Aug 12, 2010
    I have been trying to cook beef jerky in my oven and its comming out good but all i can find is recipes that use alot of Worcestershire sauce and soy sauce and there a little salty.does anyone have a good recipe for beef jerky?If so ty.

Tags:
  2. SignosaurusRex

SignosaurusRex Major Contributor

Mar 7, 2007
    Washington State
    Believe it or not........straight "Yoshida's Gourmet Teriyaki Marinade" makes for a great oven jerky recipe. You can tweak for preferred taste.........black pepper....garlic....red chili sauce.....smoke flavoring......

3. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    Forget the liquid marinades and start using dry rubs. The taste is better and it's a lot easier to control the amount of flavor you cover the meat with. Most grocery stores carry a bunch of different premade rubs (keeps you from buying a bunch of spices you may or may not ever use again)

Here's a basic rub:
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne (or to taste)

and this recipe from Chow is an awesome change of pace.
    http://www.chow.com/recipes/13448-thai-beef-jerky?tag=search_results;results_list

4. cajun312

cajun312 Active Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Louisiana
  5. Pat Whatley

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    Take an Old Bay seafood seasoning bag, put it in a pot of water, bring it to a boil, let it cool and marinate your beef in it. Works great for chicken on the grill, too.

6. shakey0818

shakey0818 Active Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Great ideas.I also found allot on beefjerkyrecipes.com.

7. Sticky Signs

Sticky Signs Very Active Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Vancouver
    This is where I spend the rest of my time. http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/
    Lot's of good jerky recipes. I think your first problem is that you're missing the smoker.

8. petesign

petesign Very Active Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Hoover AL
    I... hate... you... guys.... LMAO.

Man I love me some beef jerky. Now I am going to have to try making some!

9. AUTO-FX

AUTO-FX Very Active Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Here's what i used to do-
    take your beef and freeze it partially to make for easy slicing.
    lay it all out and lightly salt and pepper both sides. if you like it spicy , use cayenne powder too.
    take a pouch of Adolphs Mesquite Meat Marinade and mix it with 1/2 cup of water
    add liberal mount of liquid smoke
    soak overnight, then cook on lowest heat you can make. ( i like to use a dehydrator)

works good with venison as well

10. shakey0818

shakey0818 Active Member

Aug 12, 2010
    lol pete same happened to me and i'v been making a batch every day for 6 days now,cant wait to get my electric bill,lol.Im gonna get a smoker next year.I dont see the point of getting a dehydrator just for jerky but i like it so much i might just get 1.Thanks 4 all the recipes guys.

11. Pat Whatley

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    Cheap dehydrators are only $40. You'll spend more than that in two days of making it in the oven.

12. shakey0818

shakey0818 Active Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Good point pat.My elecrtic meter is spinning like a nascar tire at the daytona 500.5-tvs,3 computers and a bunch of other stuff allready going 24-7.Ill def get 1 on black friday.Any recomendations?Not sure to go with stainless 6 rack or plactic 6 rack.

13. Sticky Signs

Nov 9, 2009
    Vancouver
    Shakey, invest the money in a smoker. there's lots of choices to suit any budget. I personally have a Bradley Digital Smoker. It cost me about 500$ but it was worth every penny. It's super easy to use and next to impossible to really screw anything up. Plus, they have a great forum with people that are willing to help (rather than bash) newbies. I can't believe some of the stuff that comes out of that thing. I currently hold the title for "best chicken wings" among my friends. Not to mention, wicked ribs, brisket, salmon etc etc etc.... Seriously, buy a smoker and you'll never want to cook with anything else. Now if I could just find the time to use it...

14. shakey0818

shakey0818 Active Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Great thanks sticky i will def get 1 in the spring.I'm kinda in the middle of desigining a computer and enentertainment center and re-doing my comp room.I will include a smoker when i design my outdoor kitchen for one of my spring time projects.

15. SignManiac

SignManiac Major Contributor

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    I get fried chicken gizzard cravings with hot sauce. I can be working and think about them. I'll get up and drive ten miles hunting them down. Yea, I'm weird like that.

16. Sticky Signs

Nov 9, 2009
    Vancouver
    Uhh, I do believe is a smoker is an entertainment centre. It's reality in HD!

17. Wheeler

Wheeler Member

Feb 25, 2010
  18. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    Jerky? Why would anyone want to take something at least marginally edible and render it inedible?

There's little difference between the taste of jerky and the taste of the package in which it comes. Jerky is a low-tech way to preserve protein, not a method for creating a delicacy. Gak.

19. petesign

petesign Very Active Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Hoover AL
    I am going to go over there now and post something to the effect..
    "I'm looking to get into the beef jerky business, I have been eating so much jerky while wrapping my race car and..."