Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beginner question on down cutters

Discussion in 'CNC Routers & Engravers' started by Roto, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Roto

Roto Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Australia
    Hi folks,

My question is when using a down cutter how do I get the swarf to adhere to the part of the cut I am iscarding.

E.g. if I am cutting on the outside of an A I want the swarf to cling to the centre of the A and to the outside piece I am going to discard.

Then when cutting a letter through a piece and I am throwing away the A How do I get the swarf to cling to the piece I am discarding leaving me with a clean centre A and a clean intercut.

I hope I am making myself clear.

I will attach a screen cap of my router settings.

TIA
    upload_2018-7-18_10-47-35.png

Tags:
  2. letterman7

letterman7 Very Active Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    While I always use an upcut, your setting tells the tale - change from climb cut to conventional milling and see if that gives you what you're looking for.

3. Roto

Roto Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Australia
    Thanks for that L7, I am trying to understand the mechanics of what is happening in each of those scenarios. I am going to run some tests this arvo using Climb and Conventional.

4. bowtievega

bowtievega Member

Mar 2, 2015
    Gilbert, AZ
    In our shop we cut everything with a climbing setup. Are you trying to ask how to place tabs or bridges on your parts to keep them connected to the sheet during cutting? I see a option for bridges on that page, is that not what you are trying to do? Sorry if i'm not understanding lol.

5. Ian Stewart-Koster

Ian Stewart-Koster Active Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Qld, Australia
    Why do you want swarf on anythnig?
    Last time we used a downcut cutter, everything cut cleanly with no edge fluff on any parts-inside or outside- and we went through 8 sheets of plywood like that.

6. James Burke

James Burke Being a grandpa is more fun than working

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State
    I'm going to take a wild guess and mention the word "burr"...those ragged little overhangs at the edge of anything you cut. Is that what you mean?

If so, they can never be eliminated using a milling/router cutter. They can only reduced by taking a light finish cut.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I'll argue that you can reduce burrs by using the correct setup for any given material, and more often than not you can eliminate them. That being said, you need the tools to do the job, vacuum table, 2hp spindle, high quality bits, etc...

I think you are wanting to reverse the direction that your bit travels around the router, which looks to be that conventional/climb milling option, but on most programs that I have seen it is an option dependent upon whether it is internal or external parts, along with the info in the tool table, that tells the program to run the router clockwise or counterclockwise to the cut.

8. johnnysigns

johnnysigns Very Active Member

Nov 3, 2004
    East Coast
    How did the conventional milling work? Are you cutting material much thicker than the diameter of your tooling?

9. Ian Stewart-Koster

Ian Stewart-Koster Active Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Qld, Australia
    If you'd try the so-called 'expensive' Onsrud cutters, instead of cheap chinese ebay ones, for the same purpose, you might find it is a solution...
    A quality tool does make a huge difference! you can hold the two and no see the difference, but use them, and the difference is night and day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. astro8

astro8 Active Member

May 23, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    He most likely is cutting acm, acp so when you use a downcut and climbmill all the swarf sticks to the scrap and not to the part that you want to keep

11. Roto

Roto Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Australia
    Thanks astro8, you nailed it down cutter with Climb milling.