• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bent substrates... how is this done?

weaselboogie

This sign is at baby'r'us. Its 2 8'x3' signs joined together, approx 2" this and the entire face has a gentle curve to it. The edges are edge laminated.

In woodworking, a trick that can produce some drastic curves consist of slicing the wood to 1/8", glueing all the faces back together, a conforming jig and then a vacuum press or a sh!tload of clamps. http://martyswoodworking.ca/Chris and Lisa/Headboard Panel in Vacuum Press_Large.jpg
I just can't imagine a sign this large would be constructed the same way.

No jobs pending, I just was curious if anyone had any ideas of how they did this. This is a national franchise, so they would have had to done a ton of them.

Attachments

• babr.jpg
    babr.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 115

saktrnch

When we build a radius wall in a house, we would cut the top and bottom plates out of plywood, put in whatever studs were needed, and cover with 1/4" plywood. The 1/4" plywood has a lot of bend in it. Could be something similar with this sign.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I would think it's rolled aluminum square tubing, skinned, and then a laminate applied to that.

Biker Scout

Steam Box. Easy to do. However, if I were to make that sign out of any other material, like ACM, or the above mentioned aluminum tubing, I'd take it to a metal shop and have them run it through a sheet roller or ring roller (for tubing) both of which I've done. I had a ring roller in-house.

Tiki

Font Sage
We have done some similar with more curve using a Aluminum frame and Wiggle Wood then laminated