• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best 54" Printers

BigBoyMs

Hello, thanks for any help! I am in the market to buy a new printer. I have a Mutoh VJ1204 which is 48" and I am looking in to purchasing a new one. I am looking at 54" or bigger depending on the price. I bought my last one from Signwarehouse and they have the Mutoh VJ1324x which is right around $10k. They also have a prism jet VJ54. They said the difference is mainly the speed is a tad slower and it is $6995. A $4000 difference! Has anyone used one of these machines? Thanks again!

ProPDF

That VJ54 is the same thing as their 1324. That head sucks first off on the 1324. I would scrape together another 2k and get the S40600 for $9k from Epson, the take-up unit and print quality is worth its weight in gold. From our experience signwarehouse warranty service sucks. You better buy your ink from a oem source and keep all your receipts. We had loss of nozzles on a valujet under warranty with them and they said they wouldn't do anything until we could prove with ALL receipts we used oem ink all the time that matched the hours on the machine. So the oem ink we had on the shelf we got from a used machine purchase and the ink we got off ebay that was oem wasn't good enough for them. The Epson is light years ahead of it in real world use. They have been selling that VJ build for what 10 years now because they have nothing new engineering wise to bring to the table.

2B

there is no "best" printer label
There are MANY MANY threads debating the differences in the machines available.

it will come down to
  • what you will be using it for
    • Eco-Sol vs Latex
  • Who you buy from and proximity to you
    • warranty claims/repair vs DIY
  • Imprint Quality & color gamut
  • How long you can wait before lamination/sticking is done
  • Your Budget for the Printer

rjssigns

Buy from the shop in your town with the best service/support. I bought my new printer from a dealer less than 30 minutes away.
Also figure out exactly what your needs are. I never run full rolls but run a lot of small pieces. Feeding small pieces ruled out latex even though I wired my office for one.

signman315

Signmaker
Plus one for Epson S series, top dog in it's class. Just gotta make sure you're looking in the right class for what you're doing, as 2B mentioned.