• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best Answer for Donation Requests

OneUpTenn

It seems lately I have been getting a ton of my customers asking for donated signs, banners, even money. I guess it has a lot to do with the economy.

I do a lot of work for schools, sports teams, churches, etc....get the picture?? all non-profit

My most popular response is this (in a nicer way)...I cant donate to everyone I do work for or I would go under since 80% of my business comes from non-profit organizations. I would be happy to donate something for a silent auction or give you a discounted price.

What do you guys think and what do you tell people? I feel like I am running this one into the ground.

TheSnowman

I think we talked about this a week or so ago...but it is what it is. You HAVE to make money. If people don't use me because I won't give them stuff for free...that's fine. You can't compete w/ someone doing it for free, and neither can they eventually.

Pat Whatley

Just apologize and say you're can't do it.

I've found in almost every case if they are calling me they're calling everyone until they find a sucker, they're not really paying attention to your NO answer. You won't have to do it for long before they quit calling you for the free stuff and in my case it hasn't effected business any that I can tell.

Option 2 is to tell them that all of your charitable giving is determined by "the board" at the beginning of the year because you have to budget the cost and the time into what you make for the year. That will usually satisfy them. If they want to be considered the next year get their information and present it here. We'll be "the board". My vote is no.

binki

We get that too and it comes in 2 forms. Some start out with the donation request and others give us specs and place an order or start the order process and then ask for a donation. When we don't do it most walk out.

We ask for a copy of their articles of incorporation, EIN and SOS number to verify they are a legitimate Non-Profit. We also ask for a letter stating the purpose of the effort that they want the donation for and where it will be spent or used in the community to verify they are operating within their charter as required by Calforinia Non-Profit law. We also let them know they will be charged for the sales tax on the retail value of the donated item as required by California law.

None have been able or willing to produce that much information.

As an alternative we offer a partnership arrangement where we produce promo items for them to resell and give them a wholesale price in return for 100% of their business. We even offer to set the entire campaign up for them.

Again, none have taken us up on this offer.

I find this amazing since I am offering what amounts to free money for their cause with little effort on their part.

abadsvt

I try to donate when i can because i feel everyone knows someone and in a small town like mine (less than 25000 people) word of mouth gets around but there has been times where i couldn't donate either didn't feel like it was worth it for me or if i was having a slow month and couldn't afford it. One answer that has worked for me and gotten me business is "I'm sorry but i can't donate anything. The economy has affected me as well and i just can't afford it". Some just walk away but a few of them feel bad and end up buying from me at a discount price (10-15% off). Just an idea.

Josh

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
..."No thanks"...

That would be the winner.

If you want to say no, then say no. Launching off into bilge about budgets, boards, and other rationalizations is just another way to lie.

Say what you mean. If that upsets someone, then they'll be upset. Don't compromise your integrity in an attempt to make someone else feel warm and fuzzy.

Rodi

One Up, since you work with so many non profits, that would indeed taint your relationship with not only the client in question (real need, each time) but all the others walking through the door. "I am a small business. Look around, I keep my overhead low to pass the savings on to my nonprofit client base. If I give out this for free, that raises my overhead, which means every other non profit I work with, including yourself will have to pay with slightly higher prices."

I used to go into great detail about why I couldn't help them. Now I just say, "I'm sorry, I sympathize with you but I can't help." It saves us both time. If I were in their shoes, I'd want to be turned down immediately rather than at the end of a 10-minute explanation, wouldn't you?

jiarby

"I'm not a non-profit.... YOU ARE!"
"If you pay me then we can help ensure you remain a non-profit!"
"You do not want to lose you IRS tax status because you have some pesky unused money sitting around!"
"There is no profit in working for no money"
"Why don't you call my property management company and get them to donate my rent to your cause and THEN I can donate your signs"
"Do you accept cash donations from the general public..? Yes!? Well... what do think that money is for!? To pay your expenses... like for these signs!"
"I just donated all my spare cash to my bankruptcy lawyer... he says I am not charging enough!"

mark in tx

"I'm sorry, my donation budget for the year is used up."

Just don't tell them your donation budget is $0.00 dollars.

Joe3

I have picked one charity to support and I do some free work. Any others I tell them the truth which is I cant support all of them but I will do your work at a discount. All of them move on.

royster13

I generally donate a banner or a few shirts.....10.00 or 15.00 of materials and 30 minutes of my time and I get a nice tax receipt for many times that amount.....I do not donate items that are specifically requested......

CheapVehicleWrap

How about making a few "Just say no" signs that could used like flash cards:

Just say no to donations.
Just say no to cheapskates.
Just say no to tire kickers.
Just say no to free work.
Just say no to aholes.
Just say no to solicitations

AND 1 more follow up sign just in case they don't get it:
GET OUT OF MY SHOP NOW! (before I laminate you)

GypsyGraphics

I have a really hard time saying no, so I don't. I tell everyone, I have a budget for donations and I'd be happy to send them a "Request for Services" form. It took me years to learn that most people asking for donated services, almost always want it free, fast and without explanation. Most of the time, I never hear back from them.

[FONT=Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Request for Service

It is our pleasure to support the people and organizations in our community. Therefor Gypsy Graphics budgets quarterly to oblige as many requests for donated services as possible.

Because we receive numerous requests, this form must be received 30 days prior to the day our services are needed, to allow for scheduling.

Please provide all group or organization information and details as to your specific needs. Requests are reviewed on Fridays and you will be contacted the following Monday for either additional information or to inform you if we are able to meet your request.

Name of Group/Organization:
Non-Profit information if applicable:
Address
Phone::
Email:
Contact Person
Phone:
Email Address
Date of Event:
Name or Title of Event:
Beneficiary:

Date you are requesting our services: