Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Banner Material for this Application?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by skyhigh, Apr 26, 2013.

1. skyhigh

skyhigh Major Contributor

Jun 16, 2005
    PA
    I have a 3' x 12' banner hanging from the bottom edge of a gas station canopy using keder rail (blowing in the wind). I used 13oz scrim material (with sewn hems), but after 3 months the banner is showing signs of fraying & cracking. By 6 months, the banner is quite the mess. I didn't expect it to last forever, but I did expect more than 3 months.

Is there any material that would hold up better, in this application? I never used mesh....but without the banner being against a backing of some sorts, don't they look extremely washed out?

:thankyou:

note: This same store also has a banner on the front of the store that has been up for 4 years, and still looks good. Granted, its screwed all the way around, and is under an awning.

Tags:
  2. FS-Keith

FS-Keith Active Member

Dec 4, 2010
    pennsylvania
    banners are a temporary solution, given the way its mounted I would say 3 months is the most you can ask for

3. skyhigh

Jun 16, 2005
    PA
    I'm thinking about a nylon material......think of an American Flag. Typically the cheaper ones last about a year. The better nylon ones last a couple years.

So they don't have that type of material for banners?

4. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    Could you please show me a nylon flag that will last a year or longer when flown 24/7!

5. skyhigh

Jun 16, 2005
    PA
    Mine

Here ya go.
    If you want a quality flag, it cost you more than $10 bucks at wally world. I paid $125 for this 5x8

(cheap ba$tard)

Attached Files:

6. signage

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    Yea! I want to see this flag and the receipt in person! I do not purchase my flags at WalMart! Those are made in China! The ones I get are sewn in USA! I have purchased the heavy duty (G-spec) from valley forge flags! Just because you find a photo on the internet doesn't make it a flag you have flown!

7. signage

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    So you are now saying it only lasted 3 months when you asked this same question last February.

8. skyhigh

Jun 16, 2005
    PA
    Bought from your neighbor in Fort Pitt. Call Mark and ask him. Any other questions??? :thumb:

2 things.....

1) This isn't the first time I replaced this banner
    2) Did you offer any constructive advice back in February????

pfttt