• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best Banner Material to Use on HP 365 Printer to Avoid Heat Issues?

GARY FRID

We have tried many banner materials and have heat problems. Vinyl buckles causing head strikes, and if we lower heat settings the ink won't dry.

If we use the thick double sided material all is well, but it is expensive to use for only one sided printing.

What do you all use on your 365?

Dan360

We've been using Grimco's Briteline 13oz since we got our 360, can't recall ever having a head strike or any problem with the stuff in something like 5 years.

flyplainsdrifta

Ultraflex 13oz or 15oz works well on my hp 560. I always waste 2ft before every batch of prints by rolling the material all the way out of the printer. Every once in a while I say to myself, "hey, this hasn't had a headstrike during warmup in months, why am I worried about it?", then I'll try to start the print with the material edge still inside the printer, and BANG.

^^^^^ this. always feed out or core it up. ive never regretted the few bucks i waste to avoid headstrikes. a few bucks for wasted media vs 120 for a head? yeah easy choice everytime

OhioSigns

We run a 360 and have had no problems with the 13oz Forward Banner from Grimco. I also always start it with about 18" of waste to avoid any problems. I think they re-branded the name though..... don't think they call it Forward Banner now. I usually stock up during their Christmas sale for the entire year and haven't bought any since then.

bannertime

We run at 240F with Grimco Key and Forward (Now Briteline 13oz) and Cooley Coolflex 13oz banner. I don't prefeed and I've never had an issue with head-strikes with banner materials except on Ultraflexx 13oz materials. We do use Ultraflexx Pole Banner 18oz, but at a lower 230F, and have been happy with it. We did have some issues with Key 63in rubbing against the top of the heater, but the new Briteline does not do that.

bannertime

Of course, the bananerman can print without headstrikes! What printer are you running, and would you mind uploading your profiles if you customized them?

That one is a HP L330. 13oz Banner Profile OMS. It's a frankenstein profile based on the original Forward Banner profile. We use the 6p CMYK 90 profile for like 99.99 percent of banner jobs. Been using it for the past 3 years.

Here's what we've been using for the Ultraflex Pole Banner or Key 15oz

Last edited:

BALLPARK

We used to only use Ultraflex scrim banner media but I did not like the heat settings needed to cure all colors. It would make the scrim part more noticeable from the heat. It also cost a lot more, but the white point is FAR less that a pretty white compared to Arlon DPF 313.

We switched to Arlon DPF 313 and will never go back to another 13 oz scrim matte banner. We run 38, 54, and 63" rolls with no issues for cure or the heat making the scrim pattern more visible. We let about 2-6" of media extend beyond the heater and sometimes use the take up and other times just print to the floor.

Really... The white point on Arlon's banner media is awesome and we have no issues printing and happy to share the info to another latex user.

David Snider

Our biggest issues comes from when the banner is being rewound after drying, getting ready for the next print. At this transition point it will pucker up and then cause the head strike. This is all due to the heat and does the same regardless if we have it attached to the take up reel or not. We will be looking into some of the suggested banner alternatives.

Thanks everyone for all the responses. And thanks for the banner profiles. I will give them a shot.

MI Bearcat

We have the HP365 and also use the Forward Banner/Brightline 13oz scrim vinyl. No problems with head strikes although we do use the edge guides.