• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best Budget Printer 36" - 44"

dbern50

Hi,

I am attempting to get my small business production up and running. I have a very limited budget and limited space so I'm trying to find equipment with the most bang for your buck.

So far the biggest purchase I've made is a 53" vinyl cutter. LSP 3 from US Cutter, coming in the mail tomorrow.

I am looking at 36" - 44" printers, anything bigger would be too much for my space right now. I need this to print on digital vinyl for interior and exterior decals, canvas, vinyl banners and photo quality paper. I'm open to any kind of inks, solvent, eco-solvent, aquous. My budget is $1000 - $4000.

I'm looking at Canon Pro 4000 right now for $3,500. Any other suggestions?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, look for a bigger apartment and go for a larger printer and don't forget, this stuff hasta be laminated, so you need room for that, too. And save up some more money. You won't get squat for that little bit of money. Just someone else's headaches.

WrapYourCar

don't go cheap.. I bought 3 cheap printers from china.. the headaches I had with those.. wasted so much time! If you can't afford a fancy branded printer.. get it on finance.

dbern50

Thanks guys... I am seeing used Roland printers for less than 8,000.. but I'm taking your advice and steering clear.

I'm still not opposed to a smaller 36" to 44" printer though. That would do fine for my needs. Anything bigger I could send to vendor. Are there are any printers at all you would recommend at that size, regardless of price?

dbern50

This would be a good start to get in to digital printing: HP Latex 115 Printer

Thanks for the link. This was exactly the information I was looking for. I just bought my vinyl cutter from US cutter so getting this printer through them as well would be convenient.

I was also looking at the

PrismJET VJ 54 Large Format Color Printer ValuPrint Package.

Opinion?

Oroscoe

I would say Cannon and Epson, both are excellent printers but are not designed for outdoor use. So then you have to laminate or find someone to laminate for you.
OR....you can spend a bit but money, buy you a 30 inch versacam that prints mild solvent and be good for both outdoor and indoor applications. Just my thoughts.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Thanks for the link. This was exactly the information I was looking for. I just bought my vinyl cutter from US cutter so getting this printer through them as well would be convenient.

I was also looking at the

PrismJET VJ 54 Large Format Color Printer ValuPrint Package.

Opinion?
As a upstart, avoid signwarehouse unless you are right next door. I as well as many others here have been bitten by their poor service.

We have been a Latex shop since its initial release of the L25500, we will not change unless their is a major new development that can been proven to be better. Ease of use, cost to value, speed to quality, etc is way better than the competition. Is it perfect no, is it better in all ways no... but it is probably the best all around machine currently.

Btw, don't tie yourself to us utter, check with big fish on here he might be able to get you a better deal and if you do go with uscutter, it looks like they have a demo 365 for under 10k.... that is light years ahead of the 115.

dbern50

I am familiar with HP L26500. It worked well but started to develop several maintenance issues after extended use. I was trying to avoid HP. Though their support is really good, I'm trying to find something more durable. Maybe it's just in my mind though and I should stick with HP.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I am familiar with HP L26500. It worked well but started to develop several maintenance issues after extended use. I was trying to avoid HP. Though their support is really good, I'm trying to find something more durable. Maybe it's just in my mind though and I should stick with HP.
What issues were you experiencing?

Robert Gruner

dBern,

There are lightyears difference between L26500 and the Latex115. Optimizer providing much higher quality prints not to mention much faster and lower printer price!!! A little more than twice the Canon cost but so much more worth it. You will be able to print on so many flexible substrates!!!

dbern50

Belt is common when used, the tray clips I've never had issues with in any generation, and what kind of ph issues?

Oh I forgot.. heating unit had to be replaced twice. Printhead issues, I forget exactly what problems we had but I know we had to replace them twice in 3 years.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Twice in 3 years... that's good. We do so much printing on ours we replace them almost monthly definitely every 2 months.

The heater core does have a finite life but twice is odd in 2 years

equippaint

Not to be rude i know everyone is trying to help and is passionate about the latex printers but this drives me nuts. How come everytime someone asks for a printer opinion it always turns into strong arming people towards the latex. Maybe i missed something but you dont even know what the guy/girl is going to do with it, noone even asked them yet this is somehow THE machine to get. What about the heat it generates in a small space? What about the difficulty in loading/swapping between materials? What about the additional power requirements? This may be a great machine in many applications but it doesnt fit everyones needs. Usually when youre starting out you end up doing little sporadic jobs and Id say most of the eco solvents are much easier to do these type of jobs than a latex because of loading and being able to use scraps. Correct me if im wrong but the latex seems better as you have some volume and arent switching out materials often.
Mimaki had some factory refurbs for good prices a couple months ago. Either way, id recommend buying new.

dbern50

Thanks, I don't feel strong armed at all. I appreciate everyone's input.

Honestly, I'm still considering eco-solvent printers, haven't crossed them out.

Ideally, I would want to do what all the big boys are doing just on a smaller scale - banners, pop-ups, wall art, decals, car graphics, posters, canvas art, plastic signs, aluminum signage, light boxes, etc.